Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,742 pages of information and 213,800 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Based at Nottingham, Beeston, later Coventry.
Humber was a British manufacturer of bicycles, motorcycles and cars.
See also -
1875 Humber and Marriott formed
1885 Marriott and Cooper separated into their own company
1885 T. Harrison Lambert became a partner with Thomas Humber.
Martin Diederich Rucker became manager of the London branch of Humber and Co.
The directors listed as:
M. D. Rucker became general manager of Humber Limited.
At some point, Humber needed more space and moved from its original factory in Beeston, south of the railway station, to another location on the outskirts of the village, in a purpose-built factory .
1892 When Thomas Humber retired, Rucker was made General Manager. Backed by Ernest Terah Hooley they opened subsidiary companies in the France, USA, Portugal, Denmark, Sweden and Russia.
1893 For many years all Marriott and Cooper machines were made for them by Rudge Cycle Co, of which Walter Phillips, an old professional racing colleague of Fred Cooper, was manager. In April, Phillips left the Rudge Co. and joined Humber’s; after that time, Marriott and Cooper machines were built in the Humber factory.
1894 Around this time, G. P. Mills was chief designer at Beeston.
1896 The Humber Extension Co was formed to handle the wholesale and retail departments of the business . It later became apparent that the agreement to transfer these responsibilities as well as the goodwill of Marriott and Cooper had been sold for £5000 yet the combined enterprise had been sold to the Extension Company for £100,000; unsurprisingly, both Harry Lawson and E. T. Hooley had been involved in this scheme; the directors faced severe questions from the shareholders .
1896 Rucker and directors were dismissed. This was at/about the same time as major fire at the Coventry Works.
1896 C. H. Shacklock, the manager of the Wolverhampton cycle factory, designed a motor car.
1897 At the 1897 Stanley Cycle Show they exhibited 'motor cycles, electric and oil'. The three electric-motor tandems were designed for pacing purposes. Also shown was a three-wheel motor carriage. 
1898 Hooley was bankrupted and the Humber company closed down its overseas operations.
1898 Advert: Humber and Co: manufacturers of the celebrated Humber cycles; Beeston-Humber cycles are recognised as the best; first use of aluminium tubes; Wolverhampton-Humber cycles are exact copies of those made at Beeston; Coventry-Humber cycles at prices within the reach of all .
1899 Marriott and Cooper was purchased by financial interests who combined it with the Humber Company and the Humber Extension Co and floated the combination as Humber Ltd.
1900 The company was registered as Humber Ltd on 27 March, to amalgamate the cycle manufacturing businesses of Humber and Co, and Humber and Co (Extension). Number of employees at Beeston about 2000.
1900 Humber Cycle Co closed the works in Great Brick kiln street, Wolverhampton, and transferred the business to the works at Beeston, leading to a considerable increase in number of employees there .
1900 Produced 3, 3.5 and 5 h.p. Phaeton models.
1900 E. Powell was appointed as Managing Director.
1906 Humber-Cordner 3-speed gear being fitted as standard to cycles at Beeston works .
1907 Beeston factory closed and business transferred to Coventry. About 3000 of the Beeston population moved to Coventry.
1909 Became a public company.
1910 February. Announced they were making monoplanes and biplanes at Coventry.
1913 Humber was the second largest manufacturer of cars in the United Kingdom.
1926 Bought Commer Cars of Luton
1928 November. Formation of the Humber Combine by merging with Hillman. The 2 factories were on adjacent sites with some complementary facilities - Humber had good foundries but few stamping facilities whilst Hillman had no foundries but good stamping facilities. Head of the new concern was Lieut-Col. J. A. Cole (MD of Humber), Captain S. Wilkes (Joint MD of Hillman) and Captain J. Black (Joint MD of Hillman). Also on the board were S. Brotherhood and Sir Henry McMahon. Rootes who had handled the export sales provided the cash and owned 60% of the shares.