Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,415 pages of information and 233,868 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Institute of Marine Engineers

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 11:45, 30 October 2020 by PaulF (talk | contribs) (Sources of Information)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Tower Hill, London.

1888, November 9th, a number of marine engineers met in a room in the East End of London to consider the advisability of forming an institute of marine engineers. An organising committee was appointed consisting of Messrs James Adamson, D. Greer, J. G. Hawthorn, Robert Leslie, C. Noble, Matthew Prior, F. W. Shorey and J. H. Thomson.

A public meeting was held in the Workmen's Hall, Stratford, on February 12th 1889.

2000 copies of the circular written by James Adamson were distributed with promising response.

On December 7th 1888 the Institute was formerly constituted at a meeting of the committee and Mr James Adamson was elected as Hon. Secretary.

Mr. Asplan Beldam was elected as Chairman, and Mr. J. W. Domoney as Hon. Treasurer.

The objects of the institute were;

  • To promote the science and practice of marine engineering in all its branches;
  • To enable marine engineers to meet and to correspond, to facilitate the interchange of ideas respecting the improvements in, and original and improved methods of working machinery, and the publication and communication of information on such subjects.
  • To maintain and improve the status of engineers and the profession of marine engineering, to afford facilities for education, study, and self-culture to marine engineers, and to promote their progressive advancement in a knowledge of their profession.

1891 The Institute moved into premises at 58 Romford Road, Stratford which it occupied until the outbreak of the First World War

In May 1912 the Titanic Engineering Staff Memorial Fund was opened under the auspices of the Institute. The fund was used to support widows and orphans of members of engineering staff of any steamer or steamers.[1]

c1914 Moved to 85-88 Minories at Tower Hill.

1921 Retiring president was Lord Weir, succeeded by Sir Joseph P. Maclay.[2]

1933 Granted a Royal Charter

c1939 James Adamson was succeeded as Secretary by Mr B C Curling

1950s and 60s: Many overseas branches were formed

Jolyon Sloggett was the fourth holder of the position of Secretary. He had to face the challenges of maintaining membership and services in an era of financial austerity, minimum manning, and massive changes in ship operation.

Late 1990s Keith Read CBE was appointed the fifth Secretary of the Institute,

1999 The Institute moved to 80 Coleman Street.

The Institute was renamed the Institute of Marine Engineering, Science & Technology - IMarEST - reflecting the broader remit embracing science and technology alongside marine engineering, and promoting the close interactions of marine engineers, scientists and technologists.

2009 Marcus Jones became Chief Executive

2011 Headquarters moved to offices in Aldgate, London. David Loosley became Chief Executive.

2011 Headquarters moved to offices in Westminster.

See Also


Sources of Information

  1. Steamship Journal, 1914.
  2. The Engineer 1921/04/08.