Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,403 pages of information and 211,619 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

James Crawford Park

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 22:05, 18 March 2015 by Ait (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

James Crawford Park (1838-1895)


1895 Obituary [1]

JAMES CRAWFORD PARK was born in Liverpool on the 1st of July, 1838.

In 1856 he entered the locomotive works of the London and North Western Railway Company at Crewe. After serving his time as an apprentice he remained engaged in the drawing office until 1866, in which year he left Crewe and took charge of the drawing office of the Great Northern Railway at Doncaster, at first under Mr. Sturrock and subsequently under Mr. Patrick Stirling, Locomotive Superintendents.

In 1873 he was transferred to the Company’s New England Works at Peterborough, at which place he remained as Assistant Shop-Manager until his appointment as Locomotive Superintendent to the Great Northern Railway of Ireland in January, 1881. From that time until his death Mr. Park had charge of all the locomotives, carriages, wagons and rolling-stock of this line, 523 miles in length.

The Great Northern Railway of Ireland consists of several lines amalgamated together, or purchased under agreement, each of which possessed rolling-stock of its own special description. Great care and organisation were required to work to the best advantage this mixed stock, which varied considerably. New and more suitable stock had to be added every year. Many of these engines, carriages and wagons were constructed from Mr. Park’s designs in the Company’s works at Dundalk, and others were obtained from builders elsewhere. All the repairs of engines and rolling-stock were effected at Dundalk, or at the branch works in Belfast, Dublin, and Londonderry. Mr. Park designed and constructed several handsome saloon-, drawing-room, and dining-cars.

For some months before his death Mr. Park was afflicted with a serious internal complaint, which rapidly assumed an aggravated form and terminated fatally on the 27th of May, 1895. He was most energetic and took a deep interest in his duties to the last.

He was elected a Member on the 3rd of May, 1887.



See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information