James Golder (c1877-1944)
1945 Obituary 
JAMES GOLDER received his technical education at Rutherford College, Newcastle upon Tyne, and served his apprenticeship with Messrs. Clarke, Chapman and Company, Ltd., of Gateshead, from 1893 to 1898. He then entered the drawing office of Messrs. C. A. Parsons and Company, Ltd., and subsequently was employed as superintendent of erections until 1903 when he went to South Africa as the firm's resident engineer and manager.
After his return to England from the U.S.A., where he had acted for two years as representative for the Allis Chalmers Manufacturing Company, he joined, in 1909, Messrs. Fraser and Chalmers, Ltd., engineers, of Erith, and was engaged as turbine engineer. Three years later he became assistant manager of the steam turbine and power station department and held the position until 1917 when he was appointed managing director of Messrs. W. H. de Ritter and Company, London.
He relinquished this appointment in 1920 and two years later went into business on his own account and established the firm of J. Golder and Company, power plant equipment engineers. In 1932 he became interested in the development and equipment of housing estates and for the next eight years acted as estate manager. His final position, which he held from 1940 was that of production officer in the Ministry of Aircraft Production, with promotion to the senior grade in 1942.
Mr. Golder was an Associate Member of the Institution from 1912 to 1917 and was a Member from 1917 to 1934. His re-election to Membership took place only three months before his death, which occurred on 19th January 1944, in his sixty-seventh year.