John Braidwood (c1808-1878)
1878 Obituary 
On Sunday last there died at South Wellington-street, Glasgow, in his seventy-first year, a mechanic of a past generation, named John Braidwood.
He served his apprenticeship in M'Andrew's foundry, situated in its day at the head of Glasgow Green, adjacent to Rutherglen Bridge.
In his youth he attended classes under Dr. Andrew Ure in the Andersonian Institute, and made considerable progress in the mechanical sciences.
In 1830 he accepted the situation of manager for the late John M'Dowall, engineer, Johnstone, and was in his employment for eighteen years.
Subsequently he was in various places of trust in Johnstone, Paisley, and Glasgow, but latterly settled in Glasgow as a consulting mechanical engineer and draughtsman, and was well employed, especially at sawmill and general wood-cutting work. He identified himself, more or less, with many inventions and improvements in machinery which were patented.