of Egerton Street, Hulme, Manchester. (1872). 
of Oldfield-road Ironworks, Salford (1880), makers of steam-driven pumps and punching and shearing machines.
1852 Business founded by John Hugh Cameron
1861 Employing 24 men and 26 boys.
1896 Cam and lever-punching and shearing machine
1900 Business incorporated
1911 Offering a range of gas engines from 6 to 120 bhp.
1922 Maker of punching and shearing machines and steam pumps.
1922 Principals: M. H. Cameron, C. L. K. Cameron and H. Cameron.
By 1933 had moved to Eccles
1937 William Henry Snow became managing proprietor
Cameron's Oldfield Road Iron Works is shown on the 1894 O.S. map as bounded by Oldfield Road on the west, Crowther Street on the east, Woden Street to the south, with houses to the north. The site was approx 230 ft by 230 ft.
A steam-driven fire pump at Bradford Industrial Museum is typical of the John Cameron type. Similar pumps were made by many companies, but in view of the proximity of Rose's and Cameron's works, it seems likely that this one was made by John Cameron.
Sources of Information
- 1872 advert.
- 1880 advert.
- 1861 Census
- The Engineer 1896
- 'The Godfrey Edition Old Ordnance Survey Town Plans: Lancashire Sheet 104.10: Manchester (SW) 1894': 
- A-Z of British Stationary Engines by Patrick Knight. Published 1996. ISBN 1 873098 37 5