Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,372 pages of information and 230,037 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Machine makers and weavers
1836 Advert: 'Eligible Investment.— Bankrupt's Property, and Exempt from Duty. By Mr. WM. GOODIER, by order of the assignees of John Heap, a bankrupt, at the house of Mrs. Mary Gregory, known by the sign of the Wheatsheaf, Bank-top, London-road, Manchester, ……. All that Plot of Land or Ground, situate in Lee's-street, Great Ancoats-street, within Manchester, containing by estimate 1011 square yards, superficial measure, or thereabouts; and also all that recently and very substantially built FACTORY, now standing upon that part of the land fronting Lees-street, lately used for machine-making and power-loom weaving purposes; together with the steam-engine, mill geering, gas apparatus, and counting-house fixtures now attached thereto, all very complete, and in the best working condition.
The land is freehold of inheritance, and subject to the very moderate chief rent of £58 19s. 5d.
It is situate contiguous to the banks of the Rochdale Canal, from which the engine is supplied with water, and is in the midst of the coal wharfs there.
The dimensions of the factory are 73 feet long by 30 feet broad, inside measure, and it consists of five stories each, 10½ feet high. The steam-engine is a capital portable high pressure one, of twelve horse power, with a fifteen horse boiler, all quite new. and on the best principle.
The above property presents itself as a very desirable one for any description of investment, on account of Its substantiality, convenient situation, and, compared with the rapidly increasing value of such sites in Manchester, its very modest rate payment of chief rent; but to any one wishing to commence silk or cotton manufactures immediately on a moderate scale, it appears peculiarly desirable, the adjacent land belonging to it and fronting into Lomax-street, affording so valuable an opportunity for future extension of business.
Further particulars ...... '
Note: The premises were subsequently occupied by Sharrocks and Birch.