Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 136,260 pages of information and 218,941 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Lieut-Col John Joicey M.P. (1816-1881) of James Joicey and Co
1881 Obituary 
Mr. JOHN JOICEY, of Newton-Hall, Stocksfield-on-Tyne, who died in August last, was the senior surviving partner of James Joicey & Co., coalowners, Newcastle-upon-Tyne. The firm of which he was the head has long been among the largest of its kind in the county of Durham, owning the collieries of West Pelton, East Stanley, Beamish, Chophill, East Tanfield, Tanfield Lee, Tanfield Moor, Oxhill, and South. Tanfield.
Mr. Joicey was a large shareholder in some of the ironworks in the Cleveland district, and was an owner of lead mines in the North. With several other industrial undertakings of importance, in the North of England, the deceased was more or less associated.
On the occasion of the general election of 1880, Mr. Joicey was returned as the colleague of Mr. Chas. Mark Palmer in the representation of North Durham, and sat for that constituency until the time of his death. Locally, the deceased was known and respected for his great liberality towards every deserving movement, and among many other benefactions, one of £12,000 towards the erection of a natural history museum in Newcastle especially deserves recognition here.
Mr. Joicey became a member of the Iron and Steel Institute in 1878; but, although present at one or two subsequent meetings, he took no active part in its deliberations.
1882 Obituary 
Lieut-Col John Joicey, M.P. for North Durham, and a Deputy Lieutenant for the same county, was born at Tynemouth, Northumberland, in 1816, the fourth son of Mr. George Joicey, of Newcastle-on-Tyne. It was originally intended that he should follow the medical profession, and with that view he studied for a short while under a practitioner in Newcastle. This, however, not being suited to his tastes, he determined upon taking to mining engineering, and after gaining some experience under the late Mr. William Hunter, at Backworth Colliery, was apprenticed for three years (1838-41) as a colliery viewer to his brother, James Joicey. . .
Ultimately he became a partner in the firm of James Joicey and Co., and as such continued up to his death, having been for the last eighteen years the senior surviving partner, and taking an active share in the vast undertakings of the firm, which has for a long time been amongst the largest producers in the Northern coal-fields. Their operations included the regular working of thirteen pits belonging to the New Pelton, Beamish, and Tanfield collieries, the annual output from which is upwards of 1,350,000 tons of first-class gas, steam, coking, manufacturing and household coal. About two thousand seven hundred men and boys, five hundred horses and ponies, and several locomotive engines were employed in carrying on the works. . . .