John Montgomery Sleater
John Montgomery Sleater (1826-1902)
1902 Obituary 
JOHN MONTGOMERY SLEATER, who died at his residence, 4 Uxbridge Road, Surbiton, on the 6th May, 1902, aged 76, was first professionally engaged as a pupil under Mr. Nicholson, of Dublin, on various contracts in Ireland.
He was then for two years in the service of the Irish Board of Works, subsequently had charge for five years of the construction of sea embankments and drainage works at Pillmore, C0. Cork, and was next employed for two years on surveys for the Great Northern and Western Railways of Ireland.
Finding that the climate of Ireland did not suit him, Mr. Sleater entered the service of the Bombay, Baroda and Central India Railway Company as an Assistant Engineer in December, 1857.
He was first posted to the location of that line between Dharoo and Bassein, and after twelve months was employed on the construction of the line from Surat to Baroda. Having done good work in that connection he was again posted to Bombay in 1862, and continued to take charge of the construction of the line from Bombay to Bulsar.
In 1865 he went home on furlough, and on his return at the end of that year he was again posted to Bombay, where he remained for a considerable time in charge of the maintenance of the line from Bombay to Bulsar.
In 1882, on the retirement of Mr. F. Mathew, he was appointed Chief Engineer of the Broad Gauge Section from Bombay to Ahmedabad, and subsequently to Rutlum.
During the absence of Colonel Bisset, R.E., the Agent, on leave, he was appointed Acting Agent of the whole system from Bombay to Dhili. Mr. Sleater came home on long furlough in May, 1891, and in December, 1892, he retired from the Company’s service, having completed a long and successful career.
He was a man of a most genial disposition, and loved by a large circle of friends. He was an excellent man of business, and carried out thoroughly the work entrusted to him, in which task he was assisted by a willing and devoted staff.
Mr. Sleater was elected an Associate of the Institution on the 2nd February, 1858, and was transferred to the class of Members on the 17th March, 1868.