John Smith (of Coven)
John Smith of Village Foundry, Coven were general engineers and builders of road traction, portable and winding engines
1856/7 Developed an original form of traction engine with the boiler carried independently of the rest of the machinery
1858 Smith built for Fowler an under-drum ploughing engine which type continued in use for 40 years or more.
1862 Built steam locomotives for Fletcher, Solly and Urwick
1862 Built a 54 inch thrashing machine with a single fan to suck up grain
1866 Company founded.
Later built a further 20-30 railway steam locomotives
1874 The firm closed and the contents were auctioned off
1901 Private company. ???
Sources of Information
- The Engineer 1903/06/21
- The Engineer 1876/12/08
- 1868 Post Office Directory
- British Steam Locomotive Builders by James W. Lowe. Published in 1975. ISBN 0-905100-816
-  Website detailing the history of the company and illustrating some of its engines