Jones Brothers and Co (Wolverhampton)
of Ablow Street, Wolverhampton.
Brothers William Highfield Jones, Benjamin Jones and Harry Jones served apprenticeships at the Old Hall japanning works.
William set up in business on his own account, renting some workshops near the National School in Cleveland Street. The other two brothers joined him there. They then bought a factory in Ablow Street, which had been built by the japanner Thomas Welling and which had been empty for some time.
1854 Company established.
After a few years the business expanded into neighbouring properties
Benjamin's two sons, William Hall Jones and B. Highfield Jones, joined the works and, as each reached 21, was taken into the firm as a junior partner. They expanded the trade with enthusiasm, traveling in India, China and South Africa.
The firm opened a branch factory in Nelson Street, which dealt exclusively with enamelled articles and pressed tin goods.
1896 After William retired, the business was taken over by Benjamin's sons, William and Highfield, and was turned into a limited liability company.
Gear cases for cycles
1922 Products: Steel office furniture, sheet metal stampings for the engineering and kindred trades aluminium and steel hollow-ware
1930 Last appearance in the Red Book - as hollowware manufacturers
Sources of Information
- Wolverhampton Local History