Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,113 pages of information and 210,773 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Difference between revisions of "Logierait Bridge"

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search
Line 1: Line 1:
near Perth
+
Logierait Bridge, or Logierait Viaduct (it has four spans), was built in 1865 as a railway bridge, carrying the Aberfeldy branch of the [[Inverness and Perth Junction Railway]] over the River Tay. It closed in 1965, but was restored and converted for single track road use, connecting the A827 and the B898 near Ballinuig, south east of Pitlochry.
  
1865 Opened
+
It is now a community asset owned by the Logierait Bridge Company. See [http://www.logieraitbridge.com/history here] for recent history of the bridge.
  
1965 Closed
+
The ironwork was produced by the [[Fairbairn Engineering Co]] of Manchester. The main contractors were Gowans and McKay, and Joseph Mitchell was the designer. The wrought iron lattice girders are supported by concrete-filled cast iron piers.
 +
 
 +
For more information and location map, see [https://canmore.org.uk/site/26328/logierait-river-tay-viaduct Canmore entry].
 +
 
 +
Note: A somewhat similar bridge, the Tay Viaduct, Dalguise, remains in use as a railway crossing over the Tay, a few miles south of Logierait Viaduct. The similar Ballinluig Viaduct originally carried the branch line over the River Tummel, a short distance east of Logierait Viaduct. This was scrapped and replaced by the present A827 road bridge which here follows the line of the railway.
  
 
== See Also ==
 
== See Also ==
Line 12: Line 16:
  
 
{{DEFAULTSORT: }}
 
{{DEFAULTSORT: }}
[[Category: Town - Perth]]
+
[[Category: Town - Pitlochry]]
 
[[Category: Bridges and Viaducts]]
 
[[Category: Bridges and Viaducts]]
 
[[Category: Things to do - Scotland]]
 
[[Category: Things to do - Scotland]]
 
[[Category: Things to do - Scotland (Postcode PH)]]
 
[[Category: Things to do - Scotland (Postcode PH)]]

Revision as of 22:45, 14 June 2019

Logierait Bridge, or Logierait Viaduct (it has four spans), was built in 1865 as a railway bridge, carrying the Aberfeldy branch of the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway over the River Tay. It closed in 1965, but was restored and converted for single track road use, connecting the A827 and the B898 near Ballinuig, south east of Pitlochry.

It is now a community asset owned by the Logierait Bridge Company. See here for recent history of the bridge.

The ironwork was produced by the Fairbairn Engineering Co of Manchester. The main contractors were Gowans and McKay, and Joseph Mitchell was the designer. The wrought iron lattice girders are supported by concrete-filled cast iron piers.

For more information and location map, see Canmore entry.

Note: A somewhat similar bridge, the Tay Viaduct, Dalguise, remains in use as a railway crossing over the Tay, a few miles south of Logierait Viaduct. The similar Ballinluig Viaduct originally carried the branch line over the River Tummel, a short distance east of Logierait Viaduct. This was scrapped and replaced by the present A827 road bridge which here follows the line of the railway.

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information