Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,989 pages of information and 229,205 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Difference between revisions of "London and County Banking Co"

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search
 
Line 20: Line 20:
 
1841 Acquired '''Hopkins and Drewett''' of Arundel  
 
1841 Acquired '''Hopkins and Drewett''' of Arundel  
  
1841 Acquired '''Hector, Lacy and Co''' of '''Petersfield, Ridge and Co''' of '''Chichester, Halford, Baldock and Co''' of Canterbury, '''Emmerson, Hodgson and Emmerson''' of Sandwich
+
1841 Acquired '''Hector, Lacy and Co''' of Petersfield, '''Ridge and Co''' of Chichester, '''Halford, Baldock and Co''' of Canterbury, and '''Emmerson, Hodgson and Emmerson''' of Sandwich.
  
 
1842 Acquired '''Davenport, Walker and Co''' (est. 1838) of Oxford  
 
1842 Acquired '''Davenport, Walker and Co''' (est. 1838) of Oxford  

Latest revision as of 08:43, 28 April 2017

1868.
1869.
1872.
1874.
1874.
1882.
1895.
1899.

of 21 Lombard Street, London.

1836 Company established in Southwark as Surrey, Kent and Sussex Banking Co. Branches were almost immediately opened at Brighton, Canterbury, Croydon, Lewes, Maidstone, Sevenoaks, Tonbridge, Tunbridge Wells and Woolwich.

1837 The head office was moved to 71 Lombard Street, City of London

1839 the bank was renamed London and County Banking Co.

1839 Acquired Jeffreys and Co of Chatham

1841 Acquired Hopkins and Drewett of Arundel

1841 Acquired Hector, Lacy and Co of Petersfield, Ridge and Co of Chichester, Halford, Baldock and Co of Canterbury, and Emmerson, Hodgson and Emmerson of Sandwich.

1842 Acquired Davenport, Walker and Co (est. 1838) of Oxford

1843 Acquired Wilmshurst and Co of Cranbrook

1844 Acquired T. and T. S. Chapman of Aylesbury

1845 Acquired John Stoveld and Co of Petworth. By 1845 the bank had over 40 branches.

1849 Acquired Trapp, Halfhead and Co of Bedford

1852 Acquired Berkshire Union Banking Co of Newbury

1855 Acquired Eddy and Squire of Berkhampsted

1859 Acquired the business of the Western Bank of London

1860 Acquired the business of Robert Davies and Co of Shoreditch, London, which failed in 1860

1866 Took Limited liability status

1870 Acquired Nunn and Co of Manningtree

By 1875 the bank had 150 branches, more than any other British bank.

1888 Acquired Vallance and Payne (est. 1800) of Sittingbourne

1891 Acquired Hove Banking Co Ltd.

1907 Acquired Frederick Burt and Co Ltd of London, foreign bankers.

1909 the London and Westminster Bank amalgamated with London and County Banking Co to form London County and Westminster Bank.

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  • [1] RBS Heritage