Louis Burn (c1879-1941)
1941 Obituary 
LOUIS BURN received his technical education at Tollington Park College and the Holloway. Polytechnic, and served his apprenticeship with Messrs. Babcock and Wilcox, Ltd., from 1897 to 1899. He was a designer in the drawing office of Messrs. Crompton and Company, Ltd., from 1899 to 1900, and during the following year was appointed engineer to the Thames Valley Launch Company.
After being employed from 1902 to 1903 with the Sturtevant Engineering Company, Ltd., he joined Messrs. Johnson and Phillips, Ltd., by whom he was engaged as engineer and designer in the experimental department, where he remained until 1907. He then established a business on his own account as a consulting engineer, specializing in machine tools and processes, and in works organization. He also acted as agent for numerous engineering firms.
During the war of 1914-18 he was production officer in the Instrument Department of the Ministry of Munitions, before becoming officer-in-charge of workshops in the Research Department of the Air Ministry. Mr. Burn, who was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1907, and was also an Associate Member of the Institution of Electrical Engineers, was the author of a work published in 1924 on "workshop gauges and measuring appliances".
His death occurred on 16th March 1941, in his sixty-second year.