Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Lymington Power Station

From Graces Guide
Revision as of 17:44, 14 January 2022 by PaulF (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

1894 Lymington Electric Light and Power Company Limited obtained a Provisional Order to generate and supply electricity to Lymington.

1899 The company built a power station at Bath Road, Lymington which first supplied electricity to the town in 1899. The company owned and operated the power station and electricity supply system.

1927 The Wessex Electricity Co was formed to develop an integrated power supply system over a large area of southern England. The Wessex company took over several company and municipal electricity undertakings including the power stations at Amesbury, Andover, Chipping Norton, Downton, Frome, Lymington, Newbury and Yeovil. The company aimed to modernise, rationalise and integrate the distribution networks of its constituent companies. At Lymington the coal-fired plant was decommissioned and oil fuelled internal combustion engines were installed.

1939 the share capital of the Wessex company was wholly owned by Edmundsons' Electricity Corporation Limited.

1948 After nationalisation the Wessex company was abolished, ownership of Lymington power station was vested in the British Electricity Authority.

1959 Closed by the CEGB on 31 March 1959.

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information