Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,385 pages of information and 233,518 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1899 The Westinghouse Brake Co in conjunction with McKenzie and Holland was the first to introduce power signalling into Great Britain with the installation at Bishopsgate Street station on the Great Eastern Railway.
1907 Separate company formed to carry on this business: McKenzie, Holland and Westinghouse Power Signal Co which equipped the whole of the underground railways of London with power operated automatic signalling.
1920 Westinghouse Brake Co acquired certain assets of the Consolidated Signal Co. By the acquisition of those assets, Westinghouse Brake secured controlling interests in the signal manufacturing concerns of McKenzie, Holland and Westinghouse Power Signal Co and various other companies . The name was changed to Westinghouse Brake and Saxby Signal Co. The works were moved from Worcester to Chippenham.
1935 The name of the company was changed to the Westinghouse Brake and Signal Co.