Monmouthshire Iron and Coal Co
Monmouthshire Iron and Coal Company (also known as the Victoria Company from their ironworks at Ebbw Vale); colliery of Abercarn
1836 Mining began at Abercarn. In the event only 2 of the intended 6 coal pits were completed. The coal was taken by tramroad to the Monmouthshire Canal.
Early 1840s: the colliery was taken over by Messrs. Allfrey of Newport,
Late 1840s: the company was owned by the Abercarn and Gwithen Company. The chairman of this company was Sir Benjamin Hall M. P. (son of Benjamin Hall and Charlotte Crawshay, daughter of Richard Crawshay) whose wife, Lady Llanover, was a great promoter of the Welsh language.
At these collieries a social scheme was set up, which was financed by a small compulsory deduction from wages. This fund provided welfare facilities including, schools, reading rooms, sickness benefit, etc.
By 1859 owned by Darby Brown and Company (presumably these were some of the partners in the Ebbw Vale Co).
1862 The Ebbw Vale Co Ltd. took over the colliery and added another shaft to the Blackvein seam.
Sources of Information
- Welsh Coal Mines