Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,394 pages of information and 233,863 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1602 Edmund Colthurst first proposed the idea of building an artificial river to bring spring water into London.
1606 The New River was commissioned by the Corporation of the City of London to carry water from the Chadwell and Amwell Springs to Islington, London; the course of the river followed the contours of the land and had a gradual fall.
After surveying the route and digging the first two-mile long stretch, Colthurst encountered financial difficulties.
The scheme was completed by Sir Hugh Myddleton between 1609 and 1613. Its official opening took place on 29 September 1613 when water entered the reservoir now called the New River Head at Clerkenwell.
The overall length of the New River was just under 39 miles (even though the direct distance from the springs to London was only 20 miles). A total of 160 bridges were constructed and 60 culverts dug underneath it, to allow passage of brooks, streams, etc. All in all this was a major achievement for the engineers of the time.
1700 Supplemented by water from the River Lee
1771 Mylne was appointed surveyor of the New River Co
1810 Mylne retired from his position with the New River Co
1811 Robert's son William Chadwell Mylne was appointed surveyor
1816 Proposal to amalgamate with the West Middlesex Water Co generated opposition on the grounds that a monopoly serving two-thirds of the Metropolis was not in the customer's interest but it was pointed out that the New River Co would improve its situation by replacing its wooden mains with iron ones. As a result the New River Co, when it introduced pumps, was able to raise water to the higher floors in buildings, something its competitors could not do. In addition the company was delivering pure water rather than water from the river Thames
1816 'It is with the most sincere pleasure that we communicate to our readers any information relative to circumstances will tend to give effectual relief to our suffering manufacturers. We are informed, that the principal houses in the iron trade in Staffordshire, have received an order from the New River Company for a quantity of iron pipe, which to be delivered and laid down as quickly as possible. By the aid of this order, which amounts £150,000, immediate employment is given to that suffering district; and 20,000 persons, including all the different labourers and their families, who were anticipating with dreadful anxiety the approach of a winter without work, are thus provided with the means of subsistence.'
1800s Deep wells were dug along the route and pumping stations built.
1845 William Chadwell Mylne junior was appointed River Surveyor
1850s Many of the river's bends were eliminated, saving 12 miles.
1859 James Muir was appointed Engineer on William Chadwell Mylne senior's retirement.
1875 William Chadwell Mylne junior retired as Surveyor due to ill health.
Some parts of the New River have been piped underground and today the river flows into Stoke Newington reservoir.
1903 Compulsorily acquired by the Metropolitan Water Board, established to bring the 9 private water companies supplying water to London under a single public body.
Note: A number of small standardised cast iron arch bridges were constructed by the comapny. One of these dated at c.1837 by Historic England, is featured here. Others here, here, and here. One here and here is clearly dated 1836. One here is apparently dated 1817, 'Span approx 4.5m. Inscribed `New River Co.', 'Priestfield Iron Works near Bilston' (Staffordshire).. 1824 example listed here. An 1832 example near Enfield shown here. [Note: Separate entry to be made for these bridges]