North Western Railway
The North Western Railway (NWR) was often known as the Little North Western Railway to distinguish it from the larger London and North Western Railway.
It was absorbed by the Midland Railway in 1874. The section between Skipton and Wennington is still open. Beyond Wennington, traffic continues on what was the Furness and Midland Joint Railway to Lancaster
The first passenger service between Lancaster and Morecambe was on 12 June 1848; on 31 October 1849 Tatham Bridge near Wennington was connected, reaching Wennington on 17 November. A horse omnibus service operated to Skipton.
On the 2 May 1850 saw passenger traffic between Wennington and Bentham, with the final link completed 1 June. It was originally a single line, the line was doubled in 1889.
Sources of Information
-  Wikipedia