Ormerod, Grierson hand-operated crane at Ellesmere Port Boat Museum
Ormerod Grierson and Co of Manchester were iron and brass founders.
- 1811 Established in Minshull Street.
- 1861 Known as Ormerod, Richard and Son.
- 1863 they became Ormerod, Grierson and Company of Hulme Hall Road and Chester Road, Hulme.
- In the 1860s they built the ironwork for the Jumna (now Yumana) bridge in India. This was mentioned in Charles T Porter's memoirs.
- 1876 Details of their multitubular boiler. 
- 1881 May have made a steam locomotive.
- 1892 They were known as St George's Ironworks.
Sources of Information
- British Steam Locomotive Builders by James W. Lowe. Published in 1975. ISBN 0-905100-816
- ‘Engineering Reminiscences’ by Charles T Porter, 1908, contains many references to Ormerod, Grierson. The American engineer worked closely with them on the design of high speed horizontal steam engines.