Oudh and Rohilkhand Railway
The Oudh and Rohilkhand Railway built an extensive railway network in the east-north direction, mostly north of the Ganges, starting from Varanasi and subsequently up to Delhi.
1862 Line first sanctioned and first contract let. First 3.55 miles opened.
1867 Received Government Guarantee
1867 Lucknow-Cawnpore branch, 42 miles, opened
1872 Company formed with the assets of the Indian Branch Railway Company (which had been formed in 1862) and the government guarantee; it had its headquarters at Lucknow.
1872 Built lines from Lucknow to Hardoi, Lucknow to Barabanki and Moradabad to Chandausi and extended the last to Bareilly in 1873
1872 The 4 miles long Broad gauge line from Burhwal to Bahramghat was opened on 1 April 1872 opened as part of the Bahramghat branch of the Oudh and Rohilkhand Railway; the line closed around 1943.
1872 The 17 miles long Burwhal-Barabanki metre gauge line was opened 1 April 1872 as part of the Bahramghat branch of the Oudh and Rohilkhand Railway. Upon conversion to mixed gauge, the Metre gauge track formed part of the Cawnpore-Burhwal Railway which was managed as part of the Oudh and Rohilkhand Railway.
1874 Built a line from Varanasi to Lucknow with an extension to Fyzabad known as Fyzabad Loop.
1875 544 miles in operation.
It extended its main line from Moradabad to Saharanpur in 1881-86 and a branch line was opened from Lakhsar to Haridwar in 1883.
1883 The Oudh and Rohilkhand Railway built the Dufferin Brige; Frederick Thomas Granville Walton was Chief Engineer, and its line was connected to the East Indian Railway Company’s line at Mughalsarai.
1885 608 miles in operation
1888 The Government of India took over the Oudh and Rohilkhand Railway making it an state railway.
1893 The Lucknow-Rae Bareilly extension was completed
1894 The main line of Oudh and Rohilkhand Railway used to run from Varanasi to Saharanpur via Lucknow, Shahjahanpur, Bareilly, Chandausi and Moradabad. With the opening of the Bareilly-Moradabad link via Rampur in 1894, the main line distance was shortened and the route via Chandausi came to be known as Chandausi chord. A branch line linked it to Aligarh.
1898 The Ghaziabad-Moradabad link was established in 1898. The Varanasi-Luknow link via Rae Bareilly shortened the main line further.
1899 The 2 mile long metre gauge line from Benares Cant. to Benares City was opened between 15 March to 1 April 1899 as the Benares City branch of the Oudh and Rohilkhand Railway.
1925 The Oudh and Rohilkhand Railway was absorbed by the East Indian Railway on 1 July 1925 but the section of the Cawnpore-Burhwal Railway was worked by the Bengal and North Western Railway and was transferred to the Oudh and Tirhut Railway on 1 January 1943 and was transferred to the North Eastern Railway on 27 February 1953.
1905 System mileage in 1905 was:
- 1,910 km (1,187 mi) of 1,676 mm (5 ft 6 in) wide broad gauge
- 129 km (80 mi) of 1,000 mm (3 ft 3 3⁄8 in) wide metre gauge
Sources of Information
-  Indian Railway History.