Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,853 pages of information and 225,311 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
See also -
Rene Panhard was employed by Jean-Louis Périn in a Paris firm that produced wood-working machines, where he met Emile Levassor. (Before the 2 had started at the factory, Gottlieb Daimler had spent some time at the Périn band-saw factory in 1860).
After Périn's death, the two established their own firm, Panhard-Levassor, in 1887.
The company decided to move from making woodworking machines to automobiles.
c1890 Panhard et Levassor built their first car - this used a Daimler engine and was offered for sale.
1894 By the end of the year they had produced 350 Daimler motors and 90 motor cars. Peugeot had purchased 80 of these motors. 
The first car imported into England was a 4 hp Panhard and Levassor for Evelyn Ellis.
1899 Details of the Panhard light car. Engine by Krebs, one of their directors.
1902 Details of their 70 h.p. Centaure four-cylinder engine for racing cars.
1906 Agents in UK: W. and G. Du Cros
1913 The French company was still advertising that it made Perin Band Saws (see advert)
1913-1917 For a list of the models and prices in the UK see the 1917 Red Book
1951 Exhibitor at the 1951 Motor Show in the Car Section.
After assembling 2CV panel trucks for Citroën in order to utilize capacity in face of falling sales, and raising operating cash by selling ownership progressively to Citroën, respectively to its then mother company Michelin (full control as of 1965).
1965 Citroën took control of Panhard's factory in Rheims.
1967 The last Panhard passenger car was built. The civilian branch was absorbed by Citroën, and the marque was retired.
Since 1968 Panhard has only made armoured vehicles.. Many of its military products end up on the civilian market via third sources and as military/government surplus vehicles.
After the 1974 takeover of Citroën by Peugeot, Panhard became part of PSA (Peugeot Société Anonyme).
2005 Panhard was acquired by Auverland
The company is now owned by Renault Trucks Defense. The combined company now uses the Panhard name; this was decided based on studies indicating that the Panhard name had better brand recognition worldwide than the Auverland name.