Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,103 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Terminal House, London SW1
1900 On 16th November Parkinson and W. and B. Cowan was incorporated as a public company, manufacturers of gas meters and other gas apparatus, being the amalgamation of 2 of the oldest firms in this business: W. and B. Cowan Ltd of London, Manchester, Edinburgh and New South Wales, and W. Parkinson Ltd of London and Birmingham.
1925 Offer of shares to the public.
1928 The company was renamed Parkinson and Cowan - new shares quoted.
1937 Parkinson and Cowan (Gas Meters) Ltd - Listed Exhibitor - British Industries Fair. Gas Apparatus for Measuring and Recording, including Tin and Iron Meters, Optional Coin Meters, Rotary Meters, Station and Retort House Governors, Test Meters, Gauges, Meter Parts and Accessories. (Stand Nos. Ca.703 and Ca.602)
1958 Parkinson Cowan had 3 divisions:
1982 The company was reorganised and split into two. The well-known boilers business continued to trade but under the banner of Thorn EMI Industrial Boilers and a new company was set up - Thorn EMI Energy Development to exploit Parkinson technology in new product areas.
The name Parkinson Cowan still exists in the UK as a manufacturer of gas stoves, one of the company's early products.