Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 140,020 pages of information and 227,378 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Edinburgh and London
of Trafford Park, Manchester
1820 the style of the firm was altered to Redpath, Brown and Company, when Mr. James Marshall was made a partner.
1860 Mr Marshall's nephew, John Cowan, joined the firm as an apprentice.
1878 Lawrence M'Garth retired from Redpath, Brown and Co, wholesale ironmongers and iron merchants, of Albert Street, Leith Walk, Edinburgh, leaving John Cowan as the sole subscriber; he continued the business
1880 Opened a department for iron constructional work such as beams and roof trusses.
1880 John Cowan was the sole partner.
1885 Introduced mild steel rolled joists.
1886 made some steel joist compound girders, the first in Scotland.
1896 Public company. The company was registered on 15 October, to acquire the business of iron and steel merchants of the firm of the same name. 
1896 Acquired site for the St. Andrew Steel Works in Edinburgh.
1900 Catalogue of steel sectional material. 
Early 1920s Acquired Darlington Rolling Mills Co
1923 Bolckow, Vaughan and Co acquired an "important interest" in Redpath, Brown and Co, makers of structural steel, with works in London, Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow, in order to secure an outlet for finished steel.
1929 Dorman, Long and Co acquired Bolckow, Vaughan and Co, to create a major force in structural engineering
1937 Steel structural engineers and merchants. 
1961 Iron and steel merchants and constructional engineers. 2,916 employees.