Robert Morton and Sons
1879 Robert Morton and Sons Ltd started as brass and iron founders in Wishaw.
Later produced their own version of steam-powered lorries and buses. The Morton steam lorry was produced under license from the Liquid Fuel Engineering Co; the steam and petrol-engined vehicles were built under the name Belhaven.
Morton continued production of its lorries and buses until 1906 when it reformed and became known as the Belhaven Motor Works.
1906 The Morton name was replaced by Belhaven Engineering and Motors. Still owned by Morton the company went on to produce variations of their own light lorries from their Battle Axe Works on the town’s Heathery Rd.
The name Morton reverted back to the firm’s bakery manufacturing operation which, unlike the automotive operation, is still trading today.