School of Ballooning: Gamma
Note: This is a sub-section of School of Ballooning.
This was the former Nulli Secundus II
First flew on 19th February 1910. Had a capacity of 75,000 cubic feet of hydrogen with a rubberised cotton envelope made b Astra in France. It was powered by a Green 80-hp engine and could carry a crew of five at 32 mph.
It was the first airship to be moored to a mast.
Later the Green engine was replaced by two 45-hp engines from Iris.
In early 1912 she was modifed and became the Gamma II.
Sources of Information
- The Royal Aircraft Factory by Paul R. Hare. ISBN 0-85177-843-7
- The Airship by Christopher Sprigg. Published c1931