Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,393 pages of information and 211,464 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Established in May 1854, The Strand, London.
Third oldest professional engineering body in the UK.
1854 May. The Society was founded as a means of reunion for former students of Putney College by two engineers, Robert Munro Christie and Henry Palfrey Stephenson, with six others. It was given the title of the "Putney Club." The first meetings were held at "Mr. Talmadje's," 221, The Strand, but in the November of 1854 the meeting place was changed to Mr. Christie's offices at 76, King William Street, in the City. It appears that in the early meetings various points of engineering practice were discussed in an atmosphere of informality. The custom of reading and discussing papers was introduced at the first meeting in 1855, with a paper by the first president, Mr Stephenson, on "The Rise and Fall of Putney College." At the annual general meeting in December, 1857, the name was changed from the Putney Club to the Society of Engineers.
1946 Sir Winston Churchill became an Honorary Fellow and approved the use of his name for the Society's senior award.
Since then recipients of Honorary Fellowships have included:
Eminent Honorary Fellow was Sir Guglielmo Marconi, the father of the Radio.