Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,124 pages of information and 233,665 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Also known as Lansdowne Bridge.
1888 The Sukkur Bridge was built to cross the River Indus in what, at the time, was India. The bridge is for a single line of railway of 5 feet 6 inches gauge.
It is a cantilever type consisting of a cantilever on each side of the water channel, each having a projection of 310 feet. The central gap of 200 feet between these two cantilevers is spanned by independent girders. Each cantilever consists of large shear legs, or guyed cranes, used to support the bridge platform at a height of 52 feet above low water, or 35 feet above maximum flood height. The clear span between abutment faces is 790 ft. The height of the towers is 169 ft.
At the time of its construction, it was the longest 'rigid' girder bridge span in the world, but this distinction lasted less than a year, the Forth Bridge having two spans of 1710 ft.
The design came in for considerable criticism, and site construction proved extremely difficult, in spite of the pre-assembly work done in London. Site erection of the steelwork was the responsibility of Frederick Ewart Robertson and his assistant, M. Hecquet. 'Robertson is to be admired for the way he overcame the seemingly impossible.'
The bridge was designed by Alexander Meadows Rendel. 'The work in India and the mode of, and appliances for erection were designed and supervised by Mr. F. E. Robertson, Supdg. engineer.' Mr. M.S.N. Hecquet was in sole executive charge throughout, with Mr. A.D. Hecquet as an Overseer. The Hecquets (father and son?) were French. Faiz Mahomed was Sub-Overseer. P. Duncan, R. Egerton, and J. Adam, were also associated with the work as Assistant engineers at different times.
1889 Bridge opened, replacing the ferry used previously to cross the river
From 1924 a speed restriction of 5 mph was imposed on trains crossing the bridge. This led to demands for a new bridge, but the demand was not satisfied until 1962, when the Ayub Bridge was opened alongside.