Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,931 pages of information and 225,312 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Difference between revisions of "Surrey Commercial Docks"

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search
Line 10: Line 10:
  
 
1864 The [[Grand Surrey Canal|Surrey Canal Company]] amalgamated with the [[Commercial Dock Co]] and their complex in the Surrey Basin became part of the [[Surrey Commercial Docks]].  
 
1864 The [[Grand Surrey Canal|Surrey Canal Company]] amalgamated with the [[Commercial Dock Co]] and their complex in the Surrey Basin became part of the [[Surrey Commercial Docks]].  
 +
 +
1865/6 Work on the Lavender Dock, and the communication between the Stave Dock and the Lavender Pond and deepening of the Albion Dock, Stave Dock, Russia Dock, and Norway Dock.
 +
 +
1866/7 The Commercial Basin was constructed.
 +
 +
1875 The Canada Dock, a new deep-water dock, with connection to the Albion Dock and to the timber ponds, was constructed. Hydraulic machinery was installed for working the principal gates, cranes and capstans, throughout the system.
  
 
1880s Docks extended
 
1880s Docks extended
 +
 +
1893 Mr. McConnochie designed a new deep entrance lock from the river, and other works, for which a contract was let to Messrs. Pearson and Son.
 +
 +
  
 
== See Also ==
 
== See Also ==

Revision as of 10:51, 25 February 2020

1868. Surrey Lock.
1868. South Dock.

Also see Surrey Commercial Dock Co

Part of the Port of London

1696 Royal Assent was given to a bill for the construction of a wet dock at Rotherhithe, some 10 acres in extent, which was called the Howland Great Wet Dock after a Streatham family to whom the property belonged. The dock was built as a harbourage and fitting-out place for ships rather than for commercial purposes. This became the nucleus what was eventually the Surrey Commercial Docks system.

1864 The Surrey Canal Company amalgamated with the Commercial Dock Co and their complex in the Surrey Basin became part of the Surrey Commercial Docks.

1865/6 Work on the Lavender Dock, and the communication between the Stave Dock and the Lavender Pond and deepening of the Albion Dock, Stave Dock, Russia Dock, and Norway Dock.

1866/7 The Commercial Basin was constructed.

1875 The Canada Dock, a new deep-water dock, with connection to the Albion Dock and to the timber ponds, was constructed. Hydraulic machinery was installed for working the principal gates, cranes and capstans, throughout the system.

1880s Docks extended

1893 Mr. McConnochie designed a new deep entrance lock from the river, and other works, for which a contract was let to Messrs. Pearson and Son.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information