Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,885 pages of information and 225,312 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Part of the Port of London
1696 Royal Assent was given to a bill for the construction of a wet dock at Rotherhithe, some 10 acres in extent, which was called the Howland Great Wet Dock after a Streatham family to whom the property belonged. The dock was built as a harbourage and fitting-out place for ships rather than for commercial purposes. This became the nucleus what was eventually the Surrey Commercial Docks system.
1865 Surrey Commercial Dock Co was incorporated
1865 James Adair McConnochie was appointed resident engineer for the company
1865/6 Work on the Lavender Dock, and the communication between the Stave Dock and the Lavender Pond and deepening of the Albion Dock, Stave Dock, Russia Dock, and Norway Dock.
1866/7 The Commercial Basin was constructed.
1875 The Canada Dock, a new deep-water dock, with connection to the Albion Dock and to the timber ponds, was constructed. Hydraulic machinery was installed for working the principal gates, cranes and capstans, throughout the system.
1880s Docks extended
1893 Mr. McConnochie designed a new deep entrance lock from the river, and other works, for which a contract was let to Messrs. Pearson and Son.