Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Difference between revisions of "T. W. Greenwell and Co"

From Graces Guide
Line 1: Line 1:
'''T. W. Greenwell and Co''', ship repairers, of South Docks, Sunderland
'''T. W. Greenwell and Co''', ship repairers, South Dock, Sunderland


1901 Private company.
1901 Incorporated as a private company, initially using public dry docks


1914 Listed as Marine Engineers. <ref>[[Kelly's Directory of Durham, 1914]] p660</ref>
1914 Listed as Marine Engineers. <ref>[[Kelly's Directory of Durham, 1914]] p660</ref>
1925 A new dry dock of 500 ft was opened
1939 The company took a long lease on the No 1 dry dock from the River Wear Commissioners
1952 A new dock of 675 ft, taking the place of the old No 1 dry dock and capable of taking tankers of up to 32,000 dwt was opened. At the same time, the No 2 dry dock was extended to 565 ft


1954 [[Sunderland Shipbuilding, Dry Dock and Engineering Co]] was established, made up of the [[Joseph L. Thompson and Sons|Thompson]], [[Sir James Laing and Sons|Laing]] and [[John Crown and Sons|Crown]] yards and the repairer [[T. W. Greenwell and Co]].
1954 [[Sunderland Shipbuilding, Dry Dock and Engineering Co]] was established, made up of the [[Joseph L. Thompson and Sons|Thompson]], [[Sir James Laing and Sons|Laing]] and [[John Crown and Sons|Crown]] yards and the repairer [[T. W. Greenwell and Co]].


1961 Ship repairers. 400 employees. <ref>[[1961 Dun and Bradstreet KBE]]</ref>
1961 Ship repairers. 400 employees. <ref>[[1961 Dun and Bradstreet KBE]]</ref>
1977 Became part of British Shipbuilders
1987 Company dissolved





Revision as of 20:22, 6 January 2020

T. W. Greenwell and Co, ship repairers, South Dock, Sunderland

1901 Incorporated as a private company, initially using public dry docks

1914 Listed as Marine Engineers. [1]

1925 A new dry dock of 500 ft was opened

1939 The company took a long lease on the No 1 dry dock from the River Wear Commissioners

1952 A new dock of 675 ft, taking the place of the old No 1 dry dock and capable of taking tankers of up to 32,000 dwt was opened. At the same time, the No 2 dry dock was extended to 565 ft

1954 Sunderland Shipbuilding, Dry Dock and Engineering Co was established, made up of the Thompson, Laing and Crown yards and the repairer T. W. Greenwell and Co.

1961 Ship repairers. 400 employees. [2]

1977 Became part of British Shipbuilders

1987 Company dissolved



See Also

Loading...


Sources of Information