Taylor Instrument Companies (Europe)
1851 George Taylor and David Kendall founded Kendall and Taylor in Rochester, New York, producing thermometers and other instruments for monitoring temperature.
1853 Kendall left the company; George Taylor succeeded him as sole owner, before withdrawing himself in 1859.
1862 George's brother Frank came to Rochester from New Hampshire
1866 Re-named the company as Taylor and Richardson, under himself and Hamlet Richardson.
1866 Richardson left the company [due to ill health]
1879 Richardson sold his interest to George Taylor.
1872 (sic) the company officially became the Taylor Brothers Company.
1889 George Taylor, president of the company, died, and was succeeded by Frank Taylor.
1890 the company was incorporated as the Taylor Brothers Company.
George’s two sons, J. Merton Taylor and G. Elbert Taylor, were also associated with the company under Frank Taylor.
1891 Taylor began branching out with the purchase of several other companies, the first being the Watertown Thermometer Co. in 1891. They experienced a period of rapid expansion and success.
1895 Acquired Hohmann & Maurer Manufacturing Co. of Brooklyn, NY, expanding the company's interests to industrial applications for temperature and pressure instruments
1898 a new manufacturing branch was opened in London, at 106 Hatton Garden. Herbert J. Winn opened a branch office for the Taylor Brothers Co. in London.
1900 Frank retired from the presidency of the company.
1900 Acquired Short and Mason Co., Ltd. of London. Short & Mason were manufacturers of high grade barometers, compasses, and other meteorological instruments.
The business became incorporated as the Taylor Instrument Company.
1905 Purchased the Davis & Roesch Manufacturing Co., which manufactured automatic temperature and pressure controlling devices, and the R. Hoehn Company.
The individual companies were consolidated under the umbrella name Taylor Instrument Companies.
1911 Opening of Taylor’s own hospital, as well as the establishment of the Research Department.
WWI The company developed numerous contracts with the United States government and other manufacturers of munitions and instruments, especially aircraft altimeters.
1930 The Taylor Instrument Companies of Canada, Ltd, was incorporated
WWII the company became the prime contractor for the manufacture or procurement of instruments for the gaseous diffusion process in the Oak Ridge Atomic Bomb Project at Oak Ridge, Tennessee.
The company continued to develop in the second half of the twentieth century
1968 Ritter-Pfaudler merged with Taylor Instrument Co. The new organization was named Sybron Corp., which was effectively a holding company for the diversified subsidiaries
1983 Merged with Combustion Engineering, becoming one of the largest process instrumentation companies in the United States.
1989 Combustion Engineering became part of the ABB Group, joining the largest electrical engineering company in the world.
Sources of Information
- River Campus Libraries