Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,424 pages of information and 230,044 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Thomas Casebourne (1797-1864)
1828 Thomas Casebourne, 25 Great Charlotte Street, Great Surrey Street, Civil Engineer, became a member of the Institution of Civil Engineers.
1865 Obituary 
MR THOMAS CASEBOURNE was born in 1797 at Hemel Hempstead, Herts.
In early life he devoted himself to engineering pursuits, and was a favourite pupil of Mr. Telford, by whom he was employed as assistant on several works, and subsequently, amongst other duties, he was engaged in drainage works in the Lincolnshire Fens, on the London and Liverpool Road, the Metropolitan Water Survey, &c.
From 1833, and for twelve years subsequently, he had charge of the execution of the works of the Ulster Canal, which were originally designed by Mr. Telford, and were subsequently under the direction of Mr. (afterwards Sir W.) Cubitt (Past-President). This canal was designed to facilitate the intercourse between the west and the north of Ireland, by effecting a junction between Lough Neagh and Lough Erne. A description of a portion of these works, accompanied by drawings, was presented to the Institution of Civil Engineers in the Session 1842, and for it Mr. Casebourne received a Telford Premium of Books.
In 1845 he removed to the locality now so well known as West Hartlepool - then a mere hamlet - to undertake the Resident Engineership of the Harbour and Docks constructed there; and since that period his name has been intimately connected with all that related to the port, harbour, and town of West Hartlepool.
In 1850 he submitted to the Institution a Paper descriptive of a float, or fixed platform, which he had used for submarine blasting in the bay of Hartlepool, and which was stated to have answered its purpose extremely well.
On the incorporation of the Commissioners of West Hartlepool in 1S54, he was one of the original Commissioners appointed under the Towns Improvement Act; and he continued to fill the office of Commissioner up to the period of his decease. He was for some time Chairman of the Board, only resigning that appointment in favour of Mr. R. W. Jackson (Assoc. Inst. C.E.) a week or two before his death.
He also for a short time represented the West Hartlepool town interest in the Pier and Port Commission ; but on the resuscitation of the Refuge Harbour question, he retired from that office, in order that he might not sit in judgment upon his own, amongst other competing plans.
At the West Hartlepool Improvement Board, Mr. Casebourne was a regular attendant. He was also for many years a Vice-President and Life Member of the Local Literary and Mechanics’ Institute.
Mr. Casebourne was elected an Associate of the Institution of Civil Engineers on the 12th of February, 1828, and was transferred to the class of Members on the 26th December, 1837.
His decease occurred on the 2nd of January, 1864, in the sixty-sixth year of his age. He was a careful, conscientious man, had a good knowledge of the practice of Civil Engineering, and very deservedly, acquired the confidence of all with whom he was brought into contact.