Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,972 pages of information and 233,612 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Thomas William Alfred Hayward (1866-1938)
1938 Obituary 
THOMAS WILLIAM ALFRED HAYWARD was borough surveyor of Battersea from 1904 until his retirement in 1929.
He was born in Gloucestershire in 1866 and received his technical education at Bath Technical School. In 1879 he entered the workshops of his uncle, Mr. W. Davis, of Hillesley, where he was employed until 1881, when he was articled to Mr. J. Bladwell, contractor, of Bath. On completing his articles in 1887 he was engaged as a sectional draughtsman, and subsequently became foreman, and ultimately manager.
In 1892 he joined Mr. J. Hutton, of Dundee, and prepared plans for the steel superstructure and roof of the People's Palace, Bristol. After holding responsible positions with several firms of contractors, he was appointed in 1897 borough and waterworks engineer to the corporation of Sudbury, Suffolk. He was responsible for the complete overhaul and renewal of the waterworks plant, and he designed the generating plant for the electricity works. In addition he acted as consulting waterworks engineer to Glemsford, and held this and his Sudbury appointment until 1903 when he was made borough engineer and surveyor of Stamford, Lincs; he began his work at Battersea in the following year.
Mr. Hayward was elected a Member of the Institution in 1902 and was also a Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers. In addition he was a past-president of the Institution of Municipal and County Engineers. His death occurred at St. Leonards, Sussex, on 12th April 1938.