Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,403 pages of information and 211,619 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

United Electric Car Co

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 15:54, 22 April 2018 by PaulF (talk | contribs) (Undo revision 1030459 by AlanC (talk))
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
1907. Delivered to Sheffield Corporation Tramways. Exhibit at Beamish Museum.
1910. Exhibit at London Transport Museum.

of Strand Road, Preston, makers of trams.

1898 The Electric Railway and Tramway Carriage Works was registered on 25 April to acquire works at Preston, Lancashire.

The company was founded by two Scots, W. B. Dick and John Kerr. They produced electrical equipment for tramways and railways and built over 8,000 tramcars, for service in the UK and abroad.

1905 The company took over two other works, the name being then changed to United Electric Car Co [1].

1917 Dick, Kerr and Co, also in Strand Road, Preston, acquired the United Electric Car Co, makers of trams.

1919 The Dick, Kerr and United Electric Car Works were acquired by the English Electric Co.

See Also


Sources of Information

  1. The Stock Exchange Year Book 1908