Waterford, Limerick and Western Railway
1896 The Waterford and Limerick Railway became the Waterford, Limerick and Western Railway.
1901 Amalgamated with and became part of the Great Southern and Western Railway.(Route: 342 miles).
The locomotives of the W&LR and the W,L&WR are listed below.
Three 4-4-0s were built by Kitson in 1896-7, no 53 Jubilee, 54 Killemnee and 55 Bernard, which became GSWR 296-8, also losing their names. (No 297 was scrapped in 1928 but the other two lasted until 1949.)
1891 Vulcan Foundry built two 2-4-2 tank engines: 13 Derry Castle and 14 Lough Derg for the Limerick-Tralee line
1895 Kitson and Co built two 0-4-4 tank engines for the Tuam service: 51 Castle Hacket and 52 Brian Boru.
1896-7 16 Rocklands, 17 Faugh a Ballagh, 18 Geraldine and 21 Castle Blarney built by Robinson and Kitson and Co.
1895-7 Dubs built four 0-6-0s: 45 Colleen Baton, 46 Erin Go Bragh, 49 Dreadnought and 50 Hercules.
1897-9 Kitson and Co built four 0-6-0s: 56 Thunderer, 57 Cyclops, 58 Goliath, 2 Shannon.
Sources of Information
- Outline of Irish Railway History by H. C. Casserley, Chapter 4 pp.78—85 (1974)..
- Outline of Irish Railway History by H. C. Casserley, Chapter 4 pp.78—85 (1974).
- Outline of Irish Railway History by H. C. Casserley, Chapter 4 pp.78—85 (1974). (available in the SMCL)