Western Pumping Station
1860s: The main line of the sewer forming the Metropolitan Board of Works's western division drainage scheme, about 3.25 miles in length, ran from Chiswick-mall, passed close to the river and then along the Fulham Road and Walham Green, to Cremorne Gardens. Initially, the sewage was lifted by a temporary pumping station at this point.
1875 The line was later extended to the permanent pumping station near the Grosvenor Canal, the Western Pumping Station.
Sources of Information
- The Engineer 1866/01/12