Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 149,270 pages of information and 234,239 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
William Cross (1873-1960) MIEE, of Falconar, Cross and Co.
William Cross who died on the 20th June 1960 was born at Gringley on the Hill, Nottinghamshire, on the 19th December 1873. He was educated at Woodhouse Grove School, Bradford, and commenced his career in the electrical industry with Crompton and Co., Chelmsford, in 1890 as an apprentice and later joined their London office as a junior engineer.
In 1897 he joined O. L. Falconar to form Falconar, Cross and Co., Newcastle upon Tyne, with whom he was associated until his death. He was a founder-member of the Electrical Contractors' Association, being president from 1915 to 1917. He was chairman of the Newcastle Centre of the Illuminating Engineering Society from 1945 to 1947.
Among his many activities he will be remembered in the North as a Freemason, a musician, a churchman, and a talented organist. He was organist at the Methodist Church in Chelmsford, Essex, at the age of 17 and later deputy organist of Jemond Methodist Church, Newcastle, and a trustee for 33 years. He was master of the Faraday Lodge of Freemasons in 1937-38 and was a past provincial grand deacon in 1945. He was a member of Newcastle Rotary Club from 1916 to 1933.
He is survived by his widow and two daughters.
He joined The Institution as an Associate in 1897 and was elected an Associate Member in 1899 and a Member in 1917. He served as chairman of the North-Eastern Centre in 1919-20 and on the Ship and Wiring Rules Committee in 1916-17.