William Foggin (1850-1898)
1899 Obituary 
WILLIAM FOGGIN, born on the 19th January, 1850, served an apprenticeship of four years with the late S. B. Coxon, Mining Engineer, and in 1876 obtained a first-class certificate of competency as Manager under the Coal Mines Regulation Act.
Between 1876 and 1879 he was Assistant Manager under Mr. Coxon of the Penshaw Colliery, the ventilating arrangements of which he re-organized, superseding bhe furnace by mechanical means.
From 1879 to 1894 he was in charge of the North Biddick Colliery, where he carried out various improvements in the pumping, winding and screening plant, and constructed a branch railway with sidings, which enabled the daily output to be increased from 170 to 600 tons.
In 1885 Mr. Foggin succeeded Mr. Coxon as Mining Agent to the late Sir George Elliot, Bart., for whom he inspected and reported on iron-ore deposits in Co. Antrim, colliery properties in South Wales and in Nova Scotia, and petroleum properties in Pennsylvania, Ontario and Galicia.
Since 1894 Mr. Foggin practised on his own account as a Consulting Mining Engineer, and in that capacity he was retained to advise the executors of Sir George Elliot as to various mining properties, including the NorthS taffordshire Collieries. He also inspected and reported on the iron-ore mines at Gellivara in Sweden.
Mr. Foggin died at Newcastle-on-Tyne on the 2nd September, 1898.
He was elected a Member of the Institution on the 5th May, 1896.