Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,395 pages of information and 211,464 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
William Hanson (1837-1899)
1864 of Newport Ironworks, Middlesbrough
by 1872 of Britannia Ironworks
1899 Obituary 
WILLIAM HANSON died at Middlesbrough on May 6, 1899.
Born at Staindrop in 1837, he was educated at York, and began his business career in the colliery offices of Messrs. J. & J. W. Pease at Darlington.
He remained there until 1864, when he was intrusted with the business management of Messrs. B. Samuelson & Company's Newport ironworks at Middlesbrough, which had just been established. He was taken into partnership in 1872, and in 1887, when the concern was converted into a private limited liability company, he was appointed managing director.
He was also a director of the North Brancepeth Colliery Company, of Messrs. Sadler & Company, Limited, Chemical works, Middlesbrough, and of the Bishopley Limestone Quarries Company. He was also connected with shipping. He was chairman of the Graving Dock Committee, and for many years represented the payers of dues on the Tees Conservancy Commission. He was president of the Cleveland Club, and was held in great esteem by all classes in Middlesbrough.
He was an original member of the Iron and Steel Institute.