William James Tranter
William James Tranter (1869-1937)
1937 Obituary 
WILLIAM JAMES TRANTER was managing director of Messrs. W. J. Tranter, Ltd., of Tibbington Works, near Tipton, Staffs. He founded the business in 1890 and specialized in the manufacture of boiler appliances, scale-removal plant, boiler insulation, and various types of lubricating oils, greases, and cutting fluids. Mr. Tranter retained his seat on the board of directors until his death, which occurred on 1st February 1937, in his eighty-fourth year.
He was born at Wednesbury and was apprenticed in 1869 to Messrs. James Russell and Sons, Ltd., tube manufacturers, in that town, where he served for six years. Subsequently he became a foreman in the firm's tube works. In 1881 he went to South Africa as supervising engineer to Messrs. Lewis and Marks, at Du Toits Pan, and a year later he joined Messrs. McKenzie and Tarry at Kimberley, as engineer. He returned to Messrs. Russell in 1885 and five years later became a partner in the boiler composition department of Messrs. Lee, Howl, and Company, Ltd., pump makers and general engineers, of Tipton, for whom he also acted as business representative. He was so engaged until he went into business on his own account.
In 1911 he was elected a Member of the Institution. More recently he invented and patented a sediment ejector for Lancashire and marine boilers. The ejector, which had the advantage of no moving parts, removed soft mud and scale by a series of cones along the whole length of the boiler.