William Livingstone Paynter (? - 1948)
1949 Obituary 
"WILLIAM LIVINGSTONE PAYNTER , whose death in his seventy-second year occurred at Torquay on 10th July 1948, was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1917 and was transferred to Membership in 1943. On the conclusion of a three years' apprenticeship with Messrs. Philip and Son, marine engineers, of Dartmouth, in 1895, he found employment with various engineering firms in that locality, including Messrs. Simpson, Strickland and Company, Ltd.
In 1899 he entered the works of Messrs. R. and W. Hawthorn Leslie and Company, Ltd., at Newcastle upon Tyne, and served as chargeman and later as foreman in the fitting shops until 1910. He then began a connection with the motor industry and established the Forth Engine and Motor Works at Newcastle, the construction and equipment of which was carried out under his personal supervision. On the conversion of the business into a limited company seven years later, he became managing director and continued to act as such until 1935 when he went into business on his own account and, practising under his own name, specialized in the production of fire-fighting equipment. Mr. Paynter had several patents to his credit, including the "Mighty Atom" fire pump and the "Paynter" towing hitch."