Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 137,383 pages of information and 220,926 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1926 September 8th. Recently converted steamship Wulsty Castle, which is now fitted with twin Beardmore-Tosi four-stroke double-acting marine oil engines, geared to the propeller shaft through Beardmore-Vulcan hydraulic clutches and single reduction gearing, ran her trials o the Skelmorlie mile.
Her machinery was built by the Vulcan Works of Hamburg under licence, and she recently made a good voyage to Dalmuir. She is a single-screw ship of 6300 tons deadweight carrying capacity, and about 3566 tons gross and is managed for the owners by James Chambers and Co of Liverpool. Her two engines are each three-cylinder units, and are designed for a total output of 1700 shaft horse-power.
The auxiliaries are both steam and oil engine driven, steam being employed for the deck machinery. The trial results of this ship with be awaited with interest.