Wylie, Mitchell and Co
Distillers, Rieclachan Distillery, Campbeltown
1825 The distillery was established in the surge of activity in the town that followed the 1823 Excise Act. The partners were Archibald Mitchell, James Ferguson, John Harvey and Alex Wylie, trading as Wylie, Mitchell and Co.
1886 The distillery was visited by Alfred Barnard during his stay in Campbeltown. He noted the annual output as being 70,000 gallons.
1934 Although it survived the initial wave of closures that followed the First World War, the distillery finally ceased production. Unusually, within the industry, the last manager was a woman, Miss Helen Mitchell.
Sources of Information
- Pigot and Co.'s National Commercial Directory of the whole of Scotland and of The Isle of Man 1837
- Slater's Royal National Commercial Directory and Topography of Scotland 1886
- Slater's Royal National Commercial Directory of Scotland 1903
- Alfred Barnard "The Whisky Distilleries of the United Kingdom" (1887)
- Brian Townsend "Scotch Missed: The Original Guide to the Lost Distilleries of Scotland" (Fourth Edition 2015)
- David Stirk, The Distilleries of Campbeltown: The Rise and Fall of the Whisky Capital of the World (2019)
- Angus Martin "Campbeltown Whisky: An Encyclopaedia" (2020)