Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 163,469 pages of information and 245,911 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

1932 Southern Railway

From Graces Guide
Im1932RailwayYB-159.jpg
Im1932RailwayYB-160.jpg
Im1932RailwayYB-161.jpg
Im1932RailwayYB-162.jpg
Im1932RailwayYB-163.jpg
Im1932RailwayYB-164.jpg
Im1932RailwayYB-165.jpg
Im1932RailwayYB-166.jpg
Im1932RailwayYB-167.jpg
Im1932RailwayYB-168.jpg
Im1932RailwayYB-169.jpg
Im1932RailwayYB-170.jpg
Im1932RailwayYB-171.jpg
Im1932RailwayYB-172.jpg
Im1932RailwayYB-173.jpg
Im1932RailwayYB-174.jpg
Im1932RailwayYB-175.jpg
Im1932RailwayYB-176.jpg
Im1932RailwayYB-177.jpg
Im1932RailwayYB-178.jpg
Im1932RailwayYB-179.jpg

Note: This is a sub-section of 1932 Railway Year Book and Southern Railway

Note: Parts are missing from original in the text below. Check the images or PDF for a full transcript

SOUTHERN RAILWAY
GENERAL OFFICES. WATERLOO STATION, LONDON, S.E.1.

DIRECTORS.
GERALD W. ERSKINE LODER (Chairman)^ Wakehurst Place, Ardingly, Sussex.
ROBERT HOLLAND-MARTIN, C.B. {Deputy Chairman), 46, Thurloe Square, S.W. 7.
RIGHT HON. LEOPOLD C. M. S. AMBRY, M.P., 112, Baton Square, S.W.l.
RIGHT HON. SIR EVELYN CECIL, G.B.B., 2, Cadogan Square, S.W. 1, and Lytchett Heath, Poole, Dorset.
RIGHT HON. LORD CLINTON, Heanton Satchville, Dolton, N. Devon.
SIR GEORGE L. COURTHOPE, Bart., M.P., Whiligh, Sussex.
SIR FRANCIS H. DENT, C.V.O., Dock House, Beaulieu, Hants.
FRANK DUDLEY DOCKER, C.B., 10, Mayfair Place, W. 1, and The Gables, Kenilworth.
RIGHT HON. LORD EBBISHAM, G.B.E., Pairmile Hatch, Cobham, Surrey.
ERIC GORE-BROWNE, D.S.O., 18, Hamilton Terrace, N.W. 8.
SIR CHARLES L. MORGAN, C.B.E., St. Stephen’s Club, Westminster, S.W.l.
RIGHT HON. THE EARL OF RADNOR, Longford Castle, Salisbury.
CHARLES SHEATH, J.P., 17, Trinity Gardens, Folkestone.
SIR JOHN B. THORNYCROPT, K.B.E., The Clock House, Chelsea Embankment, S.W.3.

OFFICERS.
{Unless specially indicated assistants etc,. are at the same addresses as the departmental chiefs.}
General Manager—SIR HERBERT A. WALKER, K.C.B., M.Inst.T., Waterloo Station.
Assistant General Manager—GILBERT S. SZLUMPER, C.B.E.
Indoor Assistant—W. G. PAPE, O.B.E., M.Inst.T.
Staff Assistant—A. HARRIS. Assistant for Special Purposes—F. A PINFOLD, 11, St. Thomas’s Street, S.E. 1. Welfare Assistant—E. A. RICHARDS.
Public Relations and Advertising Officer—C. GRASEMANN.
Superintendent of Advertising—F. V. MILTON.
Chief Assistant (Publicity)—J. HARRAD.
Trade Advertising Agent-E. C. SHORT. Secretary—F. H. WILLIS, Waterloo Station.
Assistant—W. J. HATCHER.
Chief Clerk—E. STONE.
Treasurer—E. SHEPHARD.
Registrar—L. A. HARRIS, London Bridge Station. Solicitor—W. BISHOP, Waterloo Station.
Assistant Solicitors—W. S. BARNES (Common Law),H. L. SMEDLEY(Parliamentary). H. W. CHINN (Conveyancing). Joint Accountants—R. G. DAVIDSON, F.S.A.A., M.Inst.T. A. HOWIE.
Assistant Accountant—W. J. SAWKINS, A.C.I.S., L.A.A.
General Assistants—G. P. LOCKHART and B. F. MARSH.
Departmental Assistants— Locomotive Carriage and Wagon— Engineering—S. C. EDWARDS. Stores—C. H. JBMMETT. Hotels—W. V. BROWN. Audit Accountant— A. E. MOORE, London Bridge Station. Assistant Audit Accountant—J. S. WILSON, O.B.E., A.M.Inst.T. Traffic Manager—EDWIN C. COX, C.B.E., M.V.O., M.Inst.T. Assistant for Development of Traffic—J. B. ELLIOT. General Assistant—H. E. O. WHEELER, O.B.E.
Indoor Assistant—L. W. JUDD, M.B.E.
Assistant for Statistics and Special Work—B. ARKELL.
Staff Assistant—S. J. ROBERTS.
New Works Assistant—H. COOK.
Superintendent of Operation—F. BUSHROD, O.B.E.
Assistant Superintendent of Operation—B. J. MISSBNDEN, M.B.E.
Assistant for Train Services—W. J. ENGLAND.
Assistant for Road Transport—A. B. HAMMETT.
Assistant for Rules and Regulations—S. BARTER.
Chief Clerk—H. G. SNELL.
Commercial Assistant—G. H. WHEELER, M.B.E., London Bridge.
Deputy Commercial Assistant—A. H. LINGARD.
Assistant for Rates and Pares—W. M. PERTS. Assistant for Continental Traffic—F. A. BRANT, O.B.E., Victoria Station. Deputy Assistant for Continental Traffic—C. COOPER. Divisional Superintendent, London East—A. WHITE, O.B.E., London Bridge. Assistants—J. C. DANN and G. BISHOP. Divisional Superintendent, London Central—C. J. C. LATHAM, London Bridge. Assistants—B. A. STURGES and S. W. SMART. Divisional Superintendent, London West—R. M. T. RICHARDS, Waterloo Station. Assistants—J. E. SHARPE and P. NUNN.
Assistant for the Isle of Wight—A. B. MACLEOD, Newport. Divisional Superintendent. Southern—E. HIGHT, Southampton West Station. Assistants—F. P. WATTS and F. C. BISHOP. Divisional Superintendent, Western—D. S. McBRIGHT, M.B.E., M.Inst.T., Queen Street Station, Exeter.
Assistants—C. S. COBLEY and A. E. EDWARDS London District Freight Superintendent—W. A. BROWN, M.Inst.T., London Bridge, Assistant—H. ROBINS. South Coast Commercial Representative—G. H. HARE DEAN, Brighton. Assistant—L. SEARS. Locomotive Running Superintendent—A. D. JONES, O.B.E., M.V.O., M.Inst.T., M.I.Mech.E., Waterloo Station.
Assistant Locomotive Running Superintendent—A. COBB.
Assistant for Staff—T. EDGE.
Divisional Locomotive Running Superintendent, Western—E. S. MOORE, Waterloo Station.
Assistant—H. P. DAWSON.
Divisional Locomotive Running Superintendent, Eastern—D. SHEPPY,Waterloo Station. Assistant—T. E. CHRIMES. Assistant for the Isle of Wight—A. B. MACLEOD, Newport.
Chief Engineer—G. ELLSON, O.B.E., M.Inst.C.E., M.Inst.T., Waterloo Station.
Chief Assistant Engineer—J. F. S. TYLER, M.Inst.C.E.
Assistant for Statistics, Staff and Stores—J. H. KNOTTS.
Chief Clerk—A. CURTIS. Assistant Engineer (New Works and Bridges)—C. GRIBBLE, M.Inst.C.E. Permanent Way Assistant—W. A. MESSER, A.M.Inst.C.E. Assistant for Lighting, Heating and Water—A. CUNNINGTON, A.M.I.E.E. Architect—J. R. SCOTT. Quantity Surveyor—P. W. FREMANTLE, F.S.I. Assistant for Outdoor Machinery—B. GREBNHALGH, A.M.I.E.B. Assistant Engineer (Signals and Telegraphs)—Lt.-Col. G. L. HALL, R.E., O.B.B., Waterloo.
Assistant—W. CHALLIS, Wimbledon.
Engineering Assistant, Newhaven Harbour—W. DAVIDSON. Divisional Engineer, London East—C. A. G. LINTON, M.B.E., London Bridge. Assistant—A. B. CHESTER. Divisional Engineer, London West—H. I. BOND, Clapham Junction.
Assistant—D. A. KEITH.
Divisional Engineer, Portsmouth—C. V. HILL, Brighton.
Assistant—G. S. FINDLAY.
Divisional Engineer, Southern—H. E. ROBARTS, East Croydon.
Assistant—P. H. JACKSON.
Divisional Engineer, Eastern—J. SHAW, Ashford.
Assistant—A. E. BROUNGER. Divisional Engineer, Central—P. ST. J. BISHOP, Eastleigh. Assistant—D. TAYLOR.
Divisional Engineer, Western—W, H. SHORTT, Exeter.
Assistant—W. E. FOX. Chief Mechanical Engineer—R. E. L. MAUNSELL, C.B.E., M.A., M.I.Mech.E., M.Inst.T., Waterloo Station.
Assistant Mechanical Engineer—G. H. PEARSON, O.B.E., Ashford.
Personal Assistant—J. CLAYTON, M.B.E., M.I.Mech.E.
Assistant for General Purposes—W. MARSH.
Works Managers and Assistants—
E. A. W. TURBBTT, Eastleigh (Locos, Carriages and Wagons).
C. J. HICKS, Ashford (Locos., Carriages and Wagons).
G. H. GARDENER, A.M.Inst.T., Lancing (Carriages) and Brighton (Locomotive).
Chief Locomotive Draughtsman—T. S. FINLAYSON, Eastleigh.
Chief Carriage and Wagon Draughtsman—L. LYNES, Waterloo.
Chief Chemist—H. HALL, Ashford.
Chief of Tests—J. RODGERS, Brighton.
Chief Clerks—
Eastleigh—R. DEAR.
Ashford—H. G. CHITTENDEN. Lancing—C. F. WELLER. Brighton—A. S. MITCHELL.
Chief Costs Clerk—H. J. TONKIN, Ashford.
Chief Rolling Stock Clerk—C. W. PEPPER, Grosvenor Road, Victoria. Assistant in Charge, Carriage Electric Lighting—E. M. TURNBULL, Longhedge Works, Battersea. Assistant in Charge, Outdoor, Carriage and Wagon Section—J. MASTERTON, Grosvenor Road, Victoria. Assistant in Charge, Outdoor Carriage and Wagon Repairing Depots—T. HUNTON, New Cross Gate.
Motor Maintenance Engineer—J. W. WILD, Bricklayers’ Arms.
Road Van Section—F. HARRIS, Bricklayers’ Arms.
Assistant for the Isle of Wight—A. B. MACLEOD. Newport. Electrical Engineer—HERBERT JONES, M.I.B.B., Waterloo Station.
Technical Assistant—F. G. COLE, M.I.E.E.
Chief Clerk—G. S. HARRIS. Electrical Engineer for New Works—A. RAWORTH, London Bridge. Stores Superintendent—C. J. H. W. FRANCIS, C.B.E., Waterloo Station.
Assistant Stores Superintendent—A. P. INNOCENT. Docks and Marine Manager—G. R. NEWCOMBE, M.Inst.T., Southampton.
Assistant Marine Manager—R. P. BIDDLE, M.Inst.T., Southampton.
Assistant to Docks Manager—E. F. BONE, A.M.Inst.T., Southampton.
Chief Clerk—E. UZZELL, Southampton.
Staff Assistant—A. J. TUCK, Southampton.
Outdoor General Assistant—C. T. PELLY, Southampton.
Docks Engineer—F. E. WENTWORTH-SHEILDS, O.B.E., M.Inst.C.E., Southampton.
Mechanical Engineer—W. A. GRAHAM, O.B.E.
Electrical Engineer—H. WAUCHOPE, Southampton. Dock Master and Outdoor Assistant—CAPTAIN E. W. HARVEY, Southampton.
Commercial Assistant—E. BURROW, A.M.Inst.T.
Traffic Controller—M. J. BUCKETT.
Divisional Marine Manager (Southampton)—SAM R. NEWCOMBE; Divisional Marine Manager (Doverand Folkestone)—CAPTAIN JAMES T. BLAKE, C.B.E., R.N., Dover. Divisional Marine Manager and Harbour Master (Newhaven)—R. W. DEWDNEY. Divisional Marine Superintendent (Portsmouth)—A. W. LANGWORTHY. Estate Agent (Eastern Division)—W. J. CLAYTON, London Bridge Station, S.E. 1. Estate Agent (Central & Western Divisions)—W. I. SELWYN, M.Inst.T., Victoria Station. Rating Agent—S. E. HITCHCOCK, Victoria Station. Horse Superintendent—E. T. STANLEY, Bricklayers’ Arms Station. Chief of Police—R. DUCKWORTH, M.B.B., Waterloo Station.

HISTORICAL SKETCH. The Southern Railway was formed by the amalgamation of the London and South Western, London, Brighton and South Coast, South Eastern, and London, Chatham and Dover Railway Companies, together with the South Eastern and Chatham Railway Companies’ Managing Committee and various subsidiary Companies, under the Railways Act, 1921. The Amalgamation scheme by which the new Company was incorporated was confirmed by the Railways Amalgamation Tribunal on the 22nd December, 1922. Operation as a single concern was commenced 1st January, 1923. The following particulars relate to the “constituent” lines.
London and South Western Railway (now Western Section). Originally promoted in 1831 as the Southampton, London and Branch Railway and Dock Company, but after being rejected by Parliament was re-promoted as the London and Southampton Railway, opened from London (Nine Elms, now the goods station) to Woking, on 21st May, 1838; to Winchfield, 24th September, 1838; to Basingstoke, and from Southampton to Winchester, 10th June, 1839 (the intervening stage was for a time covered by coaches), and from Basingstoke to Winchester, 11th May, 1840. Bishopstoke Line, 1840; Bishopstoke to Salisbury, 1847; Southampton to Dorchester, 1847; Nine Elms to Waterloo, 1848; Richmond to Windsor, 1848; Fareham to Portsmouth, 1848 ; Kingston (now Surbiton) to Hampton Court, 1849 ; Farnham to Guildford, 1849 ; Hounslow Loop Line, 1850 ; North Devon Line, 1854 ; Basingstoke to Andover, 1854; Staines to Wokingham and Reading, 1856 ; Dorchester to Weymouth, 1857 ; Andover to Salisbury, 1857; Godaiming to Havant, 1859 ; direct line to Portsmouth, via Haslemere, Petersfield and Havant, 1859; Wimbledon to Leatherhead, 1859; Salisbury to Exeter, 1859-60 ; Bxmouth Line, 1861; West London Extension Railway, 1863; Gosport to Stokes Bay, 1863; Chard branch, 1863; Botley to Bishops Waltham, 1863; Twickenham to Kingston, 1863 ; Petersfield to Midhurst, 1864; Twickenham to Shepperton, 1864 ; Andover to Redbridge, 1865; Alton to Alresford, 1865 ; Weymouth to Portland, 1865 ; St. Denys to Netley, 1866; North Tawton to Okehampton, 1867; Seaton branch, 1868; Wimbledon to Tooting, 1869; Kensington to Richmond, 1869; Malden to Kingston, 1869 ; Ringwood to Bournemouth, 1870 ; Brookwood to Farnham, 1870 ; Torrington branch. 1872; Wimborne to Bournemouth, 1874; Sidmouth branch, 1874; Ilfracombe line, 1874; Okehampton to Holsworthy, 1879; Ascot to Aidershot, 1878; New Guildford line, 1885; Swanage branch, 1885 ; Hurstbourne and Fullerton branch, 1885 (closed for passenger traffic 6th July, 1931); Hal will Junction to Launceston, 1886 ; Bournemouth direct line, 1888 ; Wimbledon to East Putney, 1889 ; light railway from Brookwood to Bisley Camp, 1890 ; Launceston and Camelford line, 1892-93 ; Plymstock branch, 1892 ; Lee-on-the-Solent Light Railway, 1894 (taken over by L. and S. W. Ry. 1909) (closed for passenger traffic 1st January, 1931); Budleigh Salterton branchy 1897 ; Yealmpton branch, 1898; Holsworthy to Bude, 1898; Waterloo and Citv Railway (from Waterloo station to the Bank), 1898; Wadebridge to Padstow, 1899 ; Easton and (jhurch Hope Railway, 1900 ; Basingstoke and Alton Light Railway, 1901 ; Amesbury branch, 1902 ; Bxmouth to Budleigh Salterton, 1903 ; Meon Valley line, 1903; Axminster to Lyme Regis, 1903; Bordon branch, 1905; Bulford branch, 1906 ; Bere Alston and Calstock line, 1908. In earlier days the history of this great system was somewhat eventful. The construction of the Portsmouth branch caused exciting \ conflicts with employees of the L. B. and S. C. Ry., and it was partly in consequence of this that the more comprehensive and apposite title of L. and S. W. Ry. was adopted in 1839. The acquisition of the Bodmin and Wadebridge Railway in 1845 (unconnected with the parent system until 1895), the effects of the ‘‘Battle of the Gauges” upon South Western fortunes in the south-western counties, and other matters provide an interesting record of what railway promotion and construction frequently entailed during the earlier years of the nineteenth century. From early days the London and South Western Railway had close associations with the Southampton Docks, and they were taken over on 1st November, 1892. As a party to the Somerset and Dorset Joint Committee the L. and S. W. Ry. was brought into touch with Bath, and thenoe with the whole of the Midland system. Via Basingstoke important connections are made with the G. W. Ry., and by means of through trains and services with the Great Central and various northern lines. In London, by means of the West London and West London Extension Railways it connected with the Midland, L. and N. W., Great Central, Great Western, and other lines. A working arrangement made with the Great Western Ry. considerably amplified the traffic conveniences throughout the south-western counties Statistics (1922) immediately prior to amalgamation.
Mileage.—Owned, 862 miles 17| chains; share of joint lines, 10 miles 1 chain; lines leased or worked, 89 miles 23 chains ; share of lines leased or worked jointly, 57 miles 57 chains; total route mileage, 1,019 miles 18^ chains.
Rolling Stock.—912 locomotives, 185 electric motor cars, 148 electric trailer cars, 3,818 coaching vehicles, 14,625 freight vehicles, 698 service vehicles, 2 electric shunting locomotives.
London, Brighton and South Coast Railway (now Central Section).
The L. B. and S. C. Ry. had a network of lines, covering a large portion of South London and almost the whole of the county of Sussex, with much of Surrey, and extending into Kent and Hampshire. It supplied the most direct routes to the South Coast, at Brighton, Eastbourne, Worthing, and other resorts. To the West it was associated with the L. and S. W. for Portsmouth and Isle of Wight traffic ; and to the East it served Hastings and other places within the area of the S. E. and C. Ry. With both of these railways the Brighton was associated by joint ownership and working agreements as regards certain sections. In the London area a complicated system of lines carried a large volume of suburban and outer-suburban traffic. The first 17 chains from London Bridge belonged to the Brighton Company, thence to Corbett’s Lane Junction the line was the property of the somnolent London and Greenwich Railway, thence to Norwood the railway was constructed, or to be precise, converted from a canal to a railway, by the London and Croydon Railway. The railway from this point to Coulsdon belonged to the Brighton Company, whilst the S. E. owned the line from Coulsdon to Redhill. Beyond Redhill the line to Brighton was wholly the property of the L. B. and S. C. Ry. In April, 1900, an independent Brighton line was opened for traffic between Earlswood and Coulsdon. The London and Croydon Railway was incorporated in 1835. The line to West Croydon was opened 5th June, 1839. The London and Brighton Railway was incorporated 1837. The first portion, a branch from Brighton to Shoreham, was opened 12th May, 1840. The main line was opened as follows : Norwood (junction with the London and Croydon) to Hayward’s Heath, 12th July, 1841, and Hayward’s Heath to Brighton, 21st September, of the same year. The London and Croydon laid down the atmospheric system in 1845, which was worked for about a year, but not being a success the pipes were removed. The old stationary engine house still remains at Forest Hill station. Some of the original pipes were found beneath the permanent way at West Croydon in 1906. On 27th July, 1846, the Croydon and Brighton Rys. amalgamated, and the title was changed to L. B. and S. C. Ry. Other sections were opened at various dates, but the system was completed, except for a few sections, at a comparatively early period.
Other Sections were opened as follows:—Shoreham to Worthing, 1845; Worthing to Arundel, Littlehampton and Chichester, 1846 ; Brighton to Lewes and Hastings, 1846 ; Chichester to Portsmouth, 1847 ; West Croydon to Epsom, 1847 ; Keymer Junction to Lewes and Newhaven, 1847; Three Bridges to Horsham, 1848 ; Eastbourne to Hailsham, 1849 ; Three Bridges to Bast Grinstead, 1855; West Croydon to Wimbledon, 1855 ; Leweo to Uckfield, 1858 ; Epsom to Leatherhead, 1859 ; Horsham to Pulborough and Petworth, 1859 ; Victoria line opened, 1860; Shoreham to Horsham, 1861; Pulborough to Ford and Littlehampton, 1863 ; Bognor Branch, 1861; Newhaven to Seaford, 1864 ; Epsom Downs Branch, 1865 ; Guildford Branch, 1865 ; Bast Grinstead to Groombridge and Tunbridge Wells, 1866 ; Petworth to Midhurst, 1866 ; South London Line, 1867 ; Leatherhead to Dorking and Horsham, 1867 ; Dckfield to Groombridge, 1868; Peckham Bye to Sutton, 1868; Tooting, Merton and Wimbledon, 1868 ; Kemp Town Branch, 1869 ; Hailsham to Heathfield and Bridge, 1880; Midhurst to Chichester, 1881; East Grinstead to Lewes, 1882; Horsted Keynes to Hayward’s Heath, 1883; South Croydon to East Grinstead, 1884; Oxted to Groombridge, 1888 ; Quarry Line (Coulsdon to Earlswood), 1900.
Many of the South Coast resorts served by the Brighton By. are in great favour all the year round, and express train services are maintained throughout the year. An important feature for several decades has been the inclusion of Pullman cars in the principal trains, a large number now being in regular use. This policy culminated in the introduction of trains consisting only of Pullman cars, commencing in 1899 with the “Pullman Limited” Express, booked on Sundays between Victoria and Brighton in 60 minutes, while in 1908 this was replaced by the “ Southern Belle,” a train running weekdays and Sundays. On Sundays this train is composed wholly of first-class Pullmans, whilst on weekdays first and third class Pullmans are run. Other cars, many of them similar to the Parlour and Buffet cars of the “Southern Belle,” are used on various expresses, and in the Continental trains between London and Newhaven. Statistics {1922) immediately prior to amalgamation.
Mileage.—Owned, 431 miles 2 chains; share of joint lines, 17 miles 11 chains; lines leased or worked, 8 miles 14 chains ; share of lines leased or worked jointly, 75 chains ; total route mileage, 457 miles 22 chains.
Rolling Stock.—619 locomotives, 50 electric motor coaches, 84 electric trailer coaches, 2,457 coaching vehicles, 10,151 freight vehicles, 681 service vehicles, departmental locomotive.

South Eastern and Chatham Bailway (now Eastern Section.)
On 1st January, 1899, the undertalfing of the L. C. &; D. By. was, by arrangement, joined with that of the S. E. By. for united working under a Managing Committee oomposed of Directors of the two (Companies. This arrangement was confirmed and sanctioned by Parliament, on the 5th August, 1899, passing the “ South Eastern and London, Chatham and Dover Bailway Companies Act, 1899.” The rolling stock and steamboats of the two Companies were worked as one concern.
The S. E. By. included two of the oldest railways in the South of England, the London and Greenwich, sanctioned in 1833, and partially opened for traffic in 1837, and the Canterbury and Whitstable, opened 3rd May, 1830. The latter railway is 6 miles in length, and includes very severe gradients, for which reason portions of it were originally worked by stationary engines; it was closed for passenger traffic on 1st January, 1931, but goods trains still operate. The S. B. By. proper, to Dover, as first constructed, commenced at Bedstone Hill (now Bed Hill), the intermediate distance from the Greenwich line to Norwood Junction being originally the London and Croydon By., and thence to Bed Hill the London and Brighton By., although the S. E. By. acquired a half of the latter section. The S. E. By. was incorporated in 1836, and the first portion to Tonbridge opened in May, 1842. The extension from London Bridge to Cannon Street and Charing Cross, opened to the latter station in January, 1864, and to the former in 1866, gave the S. E. By. an immense advantage over other Southern railways, although, it must be confessed, at an enormous expense, viz., four millions of money for 2 miles 48 chains of railway. Upon the opening of the L. C. & D. By. it became imperative that the S. E. By. should possess a shorter and more direct route to the South and South Bast coast towns. The direct line to Tonbridge via Sevenoaks was therefore constructed, and opened in February, 1868.
Incorporated in 1853, under the title of the “ East Kent Bailway,” for the construction of a line from the S. E. By. (North Kent line) at Strood to Canterbury, the East Kent was opened to Faversham on 25th February, 1858, and to Canterbury, 18th July, 1860. But before this date Parliamentary sanction had been obtained for adding a head and tail to the undertaking—viz., extensions to Dover from Canterbury, and from Strood to St. Mary Cray. A line—the Mid-Kent (Bromley to St. Mary Cray)—leased by the S, B. By., existed between the points named; at Bromley the Mid-Kent joined the Farnborough extension of the West End of London and Crystal Palace Bailway, the termination of which was at Battersea, thence to Victoria station, the railway belonging to the Victoria Station and Pimlico Bailway. This route, giving the L. C. & D. By. access to London, was opened throughout on 1st November, 1861. In 1859 the title became L. C. & D. By. A line from Kent House to Herne Hill, with extensions thence to Ludgate Hill and Battersea, completed the main line. The Kent Coast line from Faversham to Bamsgate was opened on 5th October, 1863, and amalgamated with the Chatham in 1871. Messrs. Peto, Brassey, Betts and Crampton constructed the major portion of the L. C. & D. By., and they were severely hit by the financial crisis through which the railway passed. The crash came in 1866, and it was not until 1869 that Lord Salisbury and Earl Cairns, as arbitrators, settled a scheme to rearrange the capital. This was made binding upon the shareholders by the Arbitration Act of 1869. The “Railway Year Book” for 1906 (pages 203 to 205) contained information as to the dates, etc., of the opening of the various sections of the S. E. and L. C. & D. Rys.
For full history of the S. E. Ry. see “ Railway Year B 3ok ” for 1899, page 208.
For full history of the L. C. dfe D. Ry. see “ Railway Year Book” for 1899, page 165.
Since the two railways came to be worked as one, the following additions were made : — Kingswood to Tattenham Corner, 1901 ; Sheppey Light Ry., Queenboro’ to Leysdown, 1901; Crowhurst to Bexhill, 1902 ; Bickley Junction to Orpington Junction and Chislehurst to St. Mary Cray Junction, 1904. Statistics {1922) immediately prior to amalgamation.
Mileage.—Owned, 625 miles 6 chains; share of joint lines, 7 miles 28 chains; lines leased or worked, 3 miles 57 chains ; share of lines leased or worked jointly, 1 mile 50 chains ; total route mileage, 637 miles 61 chains.
Rolling Stock.—729 steam locomotives; 8 steam rail vehicles ; 11,345 freight vehicles ; 860 service vehicles. Subsidiary Companies.
A. - -Absorbed by London and South Western Railway Co.,
Amalgamation Tribunal:—
Bridgwater,—Opened 21st July, 1890. Length, miles.
Dorset Joint Ry.
Isle of Wight.—Opened 23rd August, 1864. Length, 14| miles. Operated independently throughout. Prior to amalgamation had 7 locomotives, 57 coaching vehicles, 221 freight vehicles, and 2 service vehicles. In common with the Isle of Wight Central Ry., used the joint L. & S. W. and L. B. & S. C. lines from Ryde (St. John s) to Ryde Pier Head.
Isle of Wight Central.—Formed by the amalgamation, under Act of 1887, of three rail- vfays, the Cowes and Newport (incorporated 1859), Isle of Wight (Newport Junction) (incorporated 1868), and Ryde and Newport (incorporated 1872). By Act of 1913, the Newport, Codshill and St. Lawrence Railway (Merstone to Ventnor Town) was vested in the Company as from 1st July, 1913. The system embraced the principal parts of the Island, branches being given off from Newport in the centre, to Cowes in the north, Ventnor and St. Lawrence in the south, Ryde and Sandown in the east. Trains connected at Ryde Pier and Cowes with regular Steamboat Services to and from Portsmouth and Soath- ampton, at Sandown and Ryde (St. John’s Road) with the Isle of Wight Company’s trains, and at Newport with the Freshwater Company’s trains. At Medina Wharf, near Cowes, considerable shipping is dealt with, including the principal coal supplies for the Island. In common with the Isle of Wight Ry., used the joint L. & S. W. and L. B. & S. C. lines from Ryde (St. John’s) to Byde Pier. Prior to amalgamation had a length of 28 miles 47 chiins, 9 locomotives, 47 coaching vehicles, 323 freight vehicles, and 7 service vehicles.
Lynton and Barnstaple.—Vested in Southern Ry., from 1st July, 1923, under Southern Railway Act, 1923, not under Railways Act, 1921. Opened 16th May, 1898. Length, 19| miles. 1 ft. ll| ins. gauge. 4 locomotives, 17 coaching vehicles, 24 freight vehicles.
North Cornwall.—First portion opsned 21st July, 1886. For further particulars see L. & S. W. Ry. Section. Length, 50 miles. Leased to and worked by L. & S. W. Ry.
Plymouth and Dartmoor.—An old mineral railway of 4 ft. 6 in. gauge, on which traffic w^as conveyed in owners’ wagons by horse-power, under toll conditions. A portion of the railway, 2J miles, was used by the L. & S. W. Ry. as a standard line, hence the inclusion of this system.
Plymouth, Devonport and South Western Junction.—Main section, 22 miles, opened 1st June, 1890. Leased to and worked by L. & S. W. Ry. See also L. & S. W. Ry. in regard to Tavistock, Devonport and Plymouth section. The Bere Alston and Callington section opened 2nd March, 1908, length 9J miles, was operated separately by means of 3 locomotives, 12 coaching vehicles, 53 freight vehicles, and 1 service vehicle.
Sidmouth.—Opened 6th July, 1874. Length, 84 miles. Leased to and worked by L. & S. W. Ry.
B. —Absorbed by London, Brighton and South Coast Railway Co., and confirmed by Railways
Amalgamation Tribunal :—
Hayling.—Opened 1874. Length, 4| miles. Worked by L. B. &, S. C. Ry.
C. —Absorbed by South Eastern Railway Company, and confirmed by Railways Amalgamation
Tribunal: —
London and Greenwich,—Opened 1838. Leased to S. B. Ry., April, 1846. Length, 3J miles.
Mid-Kent {Bromley to St, Mary Cray').—Opened 5th July, 1858. Leased to L. C. & D. Ry. Company 1st September, 1863. Length, miles.
Victoria Station and Pimlico,—Opened 1st October, 1860. Length, 14 miles. Leased to G. W., L. & N. W., and L. C. & D. Rys.
D. —Absorption terms settled by Railways Amalgamation Tribunal
Brighton and Dyhe,— Opened 1st September, 1887. Length, 34 miles. Leased to and worked by L. B. & S. C. Ry.
Freshwater^ Yarmouth and Newport {Isle of Wight').—Opened 1888 for goods and 1889 for passenger traffic. Length, llj^ miles. Worked by the Isle of Wight Central Ry. for many years, but latterly operated independently. Prior to amalgamation had 2 locomotives and 1 petrol rail motor car, 12 coaching vehicles, 31 freight vehicles.
Lee-on-the-Solent.—Opened 1894. Length, 3 miles. Leased to and worked by L. & S. W. Ry. from 1st August, 1909. (Closed from 1st January, 1931.)
Totton, Hytheand Fawley Light.—Opened 20th July, 1925. Length, 9J miles. Authorised by Totton, Hythe and Pawley Light Railway (Amendment and Transfer) Order, 1923.
Wimbledon and Sutton.—Opened Wimbledon to South Merton, July 7, 1929; throughout January 5, 1930; operated electrically. Length 5^ miles. Joint Railways. (For further particulars see “Joint Railways” section.) A.—Now Wholly Comprised in the Southern Railway.
Croydon and Oxted,—Opened 1884. L. B. & S. C. and S. B. Rys.; length, 9 miles.
Dover and Deal,—Opened 1881. S. B. and L. C. & D. Rys.; length, 8| miles.
Epsom and Leatherhead,—Opened 1859 ; L. B. & S. C. and L. & S. W. Rys.; 3| miles.
Portsmouth and Ryde,—Opened, Cosham to Portsmouth, 1818; Ryde Pier railways, 1880 ; L. ife S. W. and L. B. tfe S. C. Rys. Isle of Wight section used by Isle of Wight and Isle of Wight Central Rys.’ trains.
Tooting^ Merton and Wimbledon,—Opened 1868 ; L. & S. W. and L. B. & S. C. Rys.; length, 5J miles.
Woodside and Selsdon Road,—Opened 1885. Worked alternate years by L. B. & S. C. and S. B. & C. Rys.; length, 2| miles.
Halwill and Torrington Line,—Opened 27th July, 1925, and worked by Southern Railway. B.—In Association with other Companies.
East London,—4 miles 11 chains. Owned by and leased to S.R. (47J per cent.) and L.N.E.’ Metropolitan and Metropolitan District Railways (17^ per cent, each) ; Easton and Church Hope>, 3^ miles, jointly with Great Western; Somerset and Dorset^ 105 miles (including 7J miles Bridgwater line, mentioned on previous page), jointly with London, Midland and Scottish (see also article, later); West London Extension., 5^ miles, jointly with Great Western and London Midland and Scottish; Weymouth and Portland^ 6^ miles, jointly with Great Western.
See also ‘^Leased and Worked Railways.”

GENERAL PARTICULARS.
Extensions since Amalgamation.—Totton, Hythe and Fawley, 1925; North Devon and Cornwall Junction Railway (Halwill to Torrington), 1925 ; Ramsgate to Broadstairs, 1926 ; Wimbledon to Sutton, 1929.
Shortest Routes compared with other railways, to Exeter by 2 miles; to Dorchester and Weymouth by 12 miles ; to Yeovil by 2| miles.

Principal Towns served from London.—Aldershot, 35 miles, 47 mins.; Barnstaple, 2111 miles, 4 hrs. 26 mins.; Basingstoke, 47| miles, 55 mins.; Bexhill, 62 miles, 1 hr. 38 mins.; Bideford, 220J miles, 5 hrs.; Bodmin, 260| miles, 6 hrs. 53 mins.; Bognor, 66 miles, 1 hr. 43 mins.; Bournemouth, 108 miles, 2 hrs.; Brighton, 51 miles, 60 mins.; Bude, 228^ miles, 5 hrs. 13 mins. ; Canterbury, 62 miles, 1 hr. 36 mins.; Chatham, 34 miles; 48 mins.; Cowes, 93J miles, 3 hrs. 44 mins.; Deal, 87 miles, 2 hrs. 0 mins.; Devonport, 229| miles, 5 hrs. 6 mins.; Dorchester, 135| miles, 2 hrs. 57 mins.; Dover, 77 miles, 1 hr, 35 mins.; Eastbourne, 66 miles,! hr. 25 mins.; Exeter, 171J miles, 3 hrs. 15 mins. Exmouth, 175f miles, 4 hrs. 0 mins.; Folkestone, 71 miles, 1 hr. 20 mins.; Gillingham; Newport 13 mins.; Okehampton, 197A miles, 4 hrs. 12 mins.; Padstow, Plymouth (North Road), 230| miles, b hrs. 12 mins. ; Poole, Portsmouth, 73J miles, 1 hr. 39 mins.; Ramsgate, 79 miles, 43^ miles, 1 hr. 23 mins.; Rochester, 33 miles, 52 mins.; I. OU iidixo.; Southampton West, 79| miles, 1 hr. 29 mins.; Strood, 31 mifes, 50 mins.; Swanage, 131| miles, 3 hrs. 11 mins.; Tavistock, 213^ miles, 4 hrs. 42 mins.; Tunbridge Wells, 34 miles, 52 mins.; Ventnor, 91;J miles, 3 hrs. 38 mins.; Wadebridge, 254 miles, 6 hrs. 4 mins.; Weymouth, 142j miles, 3 hrs. 14 mins.; Winchester, 66J miles, 1 hr. 26 mins.; Windsor and Eton, 253 miles, 45 mins.; Woking, 24^ miles, 31 mins.; Worthing, 60 miles, 1 hr. 14 mins.; Yeovil, 124^ miles, 2 hrs. 51 mins.
Principal Through. Services.—London to Portsmouth, Winchester, Southampton West, Bournemouth, Poole, Swanage, Weymouth, Salisbury, Yeovil, Seaton, Sidmouth, Budleigh Salterton, Exmouth, Exeter, Okehampton, Tavistock, Devonport, Plymouth, Launceston, Bude, Padstow, Barnstaple, Ilfracombe, Bideford, Torrington, Windsor, Reading, Guildford, Brighton, Worthing, Eastbourne, Bexhill, Hastings, Tunbridge Wells, Newhaven, Littlehampton, Bognor, Isle of Wight, Epsom, Chatham, Dover, Deal, Folkestone, Ramsgate, Margate, Broadstairs, Herne Bay, Whitstable, Canterbury, Sheerness, Gravesend, Maidstone, Croydon, Red Hill, Dorking, etc.

Road Motor Services.—During 1929 the Company became interested in practically all the more important road concerns operating in the South of England, and is now represented by its own railway officers on the Board of Directors and Management Committees in each case. The co-ordination of railway omnibus services is proceeding, and combined rail-and-road facilities are being rapidly increased. The following road companies are at present concerned:—(a) Aldershot and District Traction Company, Limited. (6) Devon General Omnibus and Touring Company, Limited, (c) East Kent Road Car Company, Limited. (d) Hants and Dorset Motor Services, Limited, (e) Maidstone and District Motor Services, Limited. (/) Southdown Motor Services Limited, (y) Southern National Omnibus Company, Limited. (A) Southern Vectis Omnibus Company, Limited, (i) Thames Valley Traction Company. (/) Wilts and Dorset Motor Services, Limited. For further particulars see page 31.

Railhead Depots and Containers.—Railhead centres have been established at many stations througout the system. The scheme of railhead distribution provides a quicker rail transit and prompt delivery by motor lorry up to 10 miles from the railhead centres. The use of containers to eliminate handling of goods between the points of loading and destination has extended largely of recent years.
Through Services in Association with other Railways.—Bournemouth, Portsmouth, and Southampton, and Reading, Oxford, Banbury, Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Shrewsbury, Chester and Birkenhead, via Basingstoke ; Bournemouth and Southampton and Manchester, via Basingstoke; Bournemouth and Southampton and Leicester. Nottingham, Sheffield, Leeds, Bradford, York, Scarborough and Newcastle-on-Tyne. via Basingstoke ; Southampton and York and Edinburgh, via Didcot and L. & N. E. Ry.; and Southampton and Swindon and Cheltenham, via Andover Junction; Southampton and Glasgow, via Birmingham and Crewe; Brighton, Worthing, Chichester, Portsmouth, Southampton, and Bristol, Newport (Mon.), and Cardiff, via Salisbury and Bath (G. W. Ry.); Eastbourne and Brighton to Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, etc., via Willesden Junction ; Ramsgate, Margate, Chatham, Bromley, etc., and Liverpool and Manchester, via Willesden Junction; Hastings, Brighton, Dover, Deal, Ramsgate, Margate, Folkestone, etc., and Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Birkenhead, Sheffield, Nottingham, Leicester, etc., via Reading, etc.; Southampton and Bournemouth and Bristol, Bath, Gloucester, Birmingham, Leeds, Bradford, etc., via Templecombe ; etc., etc.

Continental Services.—The Southern Railway own, or are associated with, seven routes to the Continent, namely, Dover-Calais, Folkestone-Boulogne, Newhaven-Dieppe, Southampton-Havre, Southampton-St. Malo, Dover-Ostend and Gravesend-Rotterdam. In addition to the routes to the Continent, there is a regular service between Southampton and Guernsey and Jersey. In connection with the Calais, Boulogne, Dieppe, Havre and Ostend routes there are services with restaurant and sleeping car facilities (where necessary) to Paris, (including the Golden Arrow service), Brussels, Berlin, Vienna, Rome, Berne, etc., other towns in the countries of which these are the capitals being likewise served with good connections. For the current year, traffic to Italy, in particular, will from 21st May, be better provided for than ever, an express service with first and second-class sleeping cars running from Boulogne to Rome, in the timings of the former train-de-luxe between those points ; whilst from Calais there will be a new through service, with sleeping car accommodation to Rome via Vallorbe. The service operated by the L. M. S. R. between Tilbury and Dunkirk, in conjunction with the Angleterre-Lorrain Alsace Societe Anonyme de Navigation, is being transferred to Folkestone—Dunkirk as from 16th May, and will be served by the S.R. During the last few years, several new steamers have been added to the Southern Railway and allied fleets, e.g., s.s. Canterbury at Dover, s.s. Cote d'Azar (flying the French flag) at Calais, to be followed later on by a sister ship, Cote d'Argent. For the Newhaven-Dieppe route a new vessel is under construction, whilst the present units in that fleet are in the course of modification to give greater comfort to passengers, and for the consumption of oil fuel instead of coal. The s.s. Isle of Sark was put into service at Easter this year, this vessel being the latest addition to the Southampton fleet for services between that port and the Channel Islands, Havre and St. Malo. Other recent additions to the passenger vessels include the Isle of Jersey and the Isle of operating in the Southampton-Channel
Islands services. Continental mails, as well as those for India, Australia and the Far East, are conveyed mainly by the Calais, Boulogne and Dieppe routes. Via Gravesend there are services every week-day to Rotterdam, with train connections to Amsterdam, the sea passage being made by the boats of the Batavier Line. The Dover-Ostend route, operated by the Belgian Government, provides through connections to Belgium, Germany, Switzerland. Italy, Austria, etc,, and in the last two years four new steamers have been added, making the line one of the most comfortable for the conveyance of passengers to and from the Continent. Mails, parcels and goods traffic are conveved by all routes and there are also services between Southampton-Honfleur and Southampton-Cherbourg for cargo only. Recent developments in large numbers of motorists taking their cars abroad have caused the Southern Railway to construct a steamer (s.s. Autocarrier) specially adapted to this type of traffic. During the season this vessel maintains a regular service between Dover and Calais.
Running Powers are exercised over sections of the Great Western and other railways and in connection with various joint lines.

Electrification.—High tension single-phase traction with overhead conductors was inaugurated on 1st December, 1909, by the former L. B. & S. C. Ry. between Victoria and London Bridge (South London line). Other routes were opened as follows : Victoria and Crystal Palace (Low Level), May, 1911; Peckham Rye to Tulse Hill, June, 1912; thus giving a service of through trains between London Bridge and Crystal Palace (Low Level) and London Bridge and Victoria, via Clapham Junction. The system was extended by the Southern Railway from Balham to Croydon, Sutton and Coulsdon, in April, 1926. Third rail direct current traction was commenced in 1916, on the former L. S. W. Ry., between Waterloo and Wimbledon (via Bast Putney). Other routes were opened as follows : Kingston Roundabout and Shepperton lines, 30th January, 1916; Hounslow Loop Line, 12th March, 1916; Hampton Court line, 18th June, 1916; Claygate line, 20th November, 1916; Hampton Court to Claygate opened to electric traction, 1918. Electric service withdrawn Summer 1919. Re-opened with Guildford Extension, July, 1926; Claygate to Guildford, and Raynes Park to Effingham Junction and Dorking North; Victoria and Holborn to Orpington (via Herne Hill and via Catford Loop line), and from Holborn to Crystal Palace (High Level), 12th July, 1926 ; Charing Cross and Cannon Street to Orpington, Bromley North, Beckenham, Addiscombe and Hayes, February 1926 ; the three routes to Dartford via Woolwich, via Bexley Heath, and via Sidcup, June 1926 ; London Bridge to Tattenham Corner, Caterham and Crystal Palace (Low Level) 26th March, 1928 ; the routes from London Bridge to Epsom Downs, Coulsdon North, Sbreatham Hill and Victoria (South London Line) and two roundabout services from London Bridge, via Crystal Palace, and via Seihurst, 17th June, 1928; Victoria to Streatham Hill and London Bridge, Victoria to Epsom, via Mitcham Junction, London Bridge to Dorking North and Effingham Junction, via Mitcham Junction, 3rd March, 1929. (In connection with the last-mentioned services, the station formerly known as Epsom Town was abolished and the trains which formerly started from and terminated at this station were then run to and from Epsom (formerly Epsom West), which was reconstructed for this purpose); Holborn Viaduct to Wimbledon, via Herne Hill, Victoria to Beckenham Junction and West Croydon, via Crystal Palace, 3rd March, 1929 ; Wimbledon to South Merton, 7th July, 1929 ; South Merton to Sutton, January 6th, 1930; Twickenham and Hounslow to Windsor, Dartford to Gravesend, Wimbledon to West Croydon, 6th July, 1930. The equipment of the lines from Purley to Reigate, Brighton and West Worthing is now in hand, and it is anticipated that the first stage, between Purley and Three Bridges, and Redhill and Reigate, will be opened early in July, 1932. In connection with this, a new station, known as Saif ords, situate between Earlswood and Horley, will be opened. Waterloo and City Ily.—Vvoni 1st January, 1907, this line (which was opened on Sth August, 1898) was amalgamated with the then L. & S. W. Ry. A total length of 820 miles of single track is now electrified.
The overhead electric services were abolished, as the third-rail system was brought into use, and the dites on which the various sections ceased to operate were as follows:—London Bridge and Crystal Palace, Streatham Hill and Victoria (South London line), 17th June, 1928; Victoria to West Croydon and Streatham Hill, 3rd March, 1929; Victoria to Coulsdon and Sutton, via Seihurst, 23rd September, 1929,
Motor Services.—Push-and-pull ” services are run on many parts of the system Taaterially amplifying the facilities provided. A number oE halts have been erected on various routes between stations to serve villages and hamlets in the respective districts.
Fastest Times and Fastest Runs.—See Tables, pages 21-26.
Longest Runs Without Stops.—See Table, pages 22-26.

Largest Stations.— Western Section*, Waterloo is the largest passenger station on the system and in the British Isles. With additions, it covers 24A acres of ground and has 21 platforms. Other large stations are Clapham Junction,Wimbledon, Richmond, Windsor, Woking, Guildford, Aldershot, Basingstoke, Andover Junction Salisbury, Tempiecombe, Yeovil Junction, Exeter, Eastleigh, Southampton, Portsmouth, Bournemouth. Devonport, Plymouth and Ilfracombe. Central Section*. Victoria, which has been rebuilt and considerably enlarged, covering about 14 acres of land, and now consists of 9 passenger lines of rails, and has direct access to the Eastern Section station. The average length of platforms is 1,285 ft., and as each platform will accommodate two full- length trains, accommodation is provided for 18 trains simultaneously. Moreover, owing to the special track lay-out adopted, trains using the rear portions can leave or arrive, although the other section of the same platform is occupied. The station is connected by subway with the Underground station. It was leased, together with the line from Battersea and the bridge over the Thames, from the Victoria Station and Pimlico Railway, and was opened on 1st October, 1860, the Brighton Company afterwards becoming the freeholders of this station. London Bridge (London, Brighton and South Coast Railway Station) was built in 1837, enlarged in 1850, and extended and improved in 1864. It covered some 8 acres of land, the accommodation provided consisting of 11 passenger lines of rails, the average length of platforms being 650 ft. The adjoining South-Eastern and Chatham Railway Station has 6 through platforms and one other through line and 4 terminal platforms in the low-level station. Both lines at the London Bridge Station are now worked as one, with a new signal box covering the working of all sections. There is a subway connected with the City and South London Ry., and via that line meets all the other London Underground lines. The largest signal box is at London Bridge. Brighton Central station is one of the largest out of London. The station was erected in 1840, and enlarged in 1861, and further extended and improved in 1882, and covers 8J acres of land, the accommodation comprising 13 passenger lines of rails, average length of platforms being 650 ft. Large and commodious stations are also erected at East Croydon, Bexhill, Bognor, Eastbourne. Eastern Section: Both Charing Cross and Cannon Street stations are good examples of modern termini. The sites are far too valuable for very extensive buildings. The former station is 680 ft. long and 170 ft. wide, has 6 platforms, and 6 lines of rail. Cannon Street is 856 ft. long and 205 ft. wide, with 8 platforms and 8 lines of rails. During the morning and evening “ rush ” hours 60 trains an hour enter or leave Cannon Street Station ; Colour-light signalling is installed between Charing Cross and Cannon Street, through London Bridge to Greenwich, Blackheath, Lady well and Hither Green on the Eastern Section, and Bricklayers’ Arms June, on the Central Section. Most of the points and all signals in this area are controlled by electric power. The accommodation provided at St. Paul’s is as follows:— There are four platforms and four roads; two of the roads being for through trains to and from Holborn Viaduct station. At Holborn Viaduct station there are six platforms and six lines of rails. Colour-light signalling is also installed between Holborn and Elephant and Castle and all the points and signals in this area are controlled by electric power. Accommodation at Victoria station consists of eight platforms and eight lines of rails and has direct means of access to the Central Section station, and also direct means of communication by subway with the Underground station. The whole of the points and signals at this station are controlled by electric power. The signals are of the ‘‘three position ” upper quadrant semaphore type. The new Dover Marine station ranks as one of the largest and most complete structures designed to meet the needs of rail and sea transfer traffic. There are four platforms, each 680 ft. long and 60 ft. wide, and four lines of rail. The station itself is 763 ft. long and 166 ft. wide. Other large stations are Ashford (Kent), Canterbury, Maidstone, Margate, Ramsgate, Tonbridge and Hastings.
Principal Goods Depots.—Nine Elms, Bricklayers’ Arms, Battersea, Wharf, and Blackfriars. As from 8th March this year the former Willow Walk depot has been amalgamated with Bricklayers’ Arms under the name of the latter.

Important Bridges, Viaducts, etc.— Western Section: Meldon Viaduct between Okehampton and Bridestowe, and seven bridges over the River Thames, the largest of which is the one at Putney, carrying the Wimbledon and Fulham line (five spans ot 143 ft., and three spans of 90 ft.). Hampton Court Ry. over-bridge, centre span 155 ft. 6 in. Central Section: Ouse Viaduct, between Balcombe and Hayward’s Heath; London Road Viaduct, between Brighton and London Road; Lewes Road Viaduct on Kemp Town branch ; the Grosvenor Road Bridge across the Thames, at Battersea; and the bridges over the Adur. at Shoreham, the Arun, at Ford, and the Ouse, at Southerham Junction. Eastern Section : Two bridges across the Thames at Blackfriars, 933 ft. long; bridge over the Medway at Strood, 510 ft. long, and that over the Thames at Battersea (740 ffc. long). The last mentioned was widened in 1866 at a cost of £161,000, borne jointly by the L. C. Si D. and the L. B. & S. C. Bys. The Metropolitan Extension is carried on a viaduct of 742 brick arches and 94 girder bridges in a total length of 30,207 ft. Bridges across the Thames at Charing Cross (6 spans of 154 ft.) and Cannon Street (3 spans of 147 ft. and 2 of 130 ft.) and the viaduct at Folkestone. A new bridge and viaduct connecting the Nunhead line with Lewisham was opened in 1929.

Swing and Opening Bridges.—There are several “of these on this system, at Southerham (Lewes), Ford, Langston, Newhaven and Folkestone; besides lift bridges at Deptford and over the River Swale at King’s Ferry. Also at Turnchapel and Barnstaple.
Longest Tunnels.—Honiton, 1,353 yds.; Privett, 1,058 yds.; Guildford, 845 yds.; Gillingham (Dorset), 742 yds.; Fareham, 609 yds.; Tavistock, 593 yds.; Devonport, 534 yds.; Clayton, 2,259 yds.; Oxted, 2,261 yds.; Sevenoaks, 3,453 yds.; Polhill, 2,611 yds.; Abbotts Cliff, 1,942 yds.; Shakespeare, 1,387 yds.; Shepherd’s Well, near Dover, 2,369 yds.; Peng©, 2,141 yds.; Blackheath, 1,681 yds.; Bigham, 1,531 yds.; Strood, 2,329 yds.; Wadhurst, 1,205 yds.; Merstham (old line), 1,831 yds.; Merstham (new line), 2,113 yds.; Bletchingley, 1,327 yds.; Mark Beech, 1,341 yds.; Bopeep, 1,315 yds.; Guston, 1,412 yds.; Ore, 1,402 yds.; Balcombe, 1,141 yds.; Gillingham (Kent), 897 yds.

Steepest Gradients.—1 in 28, for a distance of 594 yds. between Canterbury and Whitstable; 1 in 30 for 1,100 yds. on Folkestone Harbour branch; 1 in 36 between Mortehoe and Ilfracombe, falling towards Ilfracombe for about two miles; between Holborn (L.L.) and Ludgate Hill, 1 in 39 for 330 yds.; between Victoria and Grosvenor Road, 1 in 64 for about I mile; leaving Lewes for Barcombe, 1 in 50; between Lingfield and Dormans and beyond 1 in 70 for about 2 miles ; between Mayfield and Heathfield, 1 in 50 for about 2 miles ; Sydenham and Crystal Palace, 1 in 60 ; between Lewes and Falmer, 1 in 88 for about 3 miles; between Forest Row and East Grinstead, 1 in 80 for about 3 miles; between Sutton and Epsom Downs, 1 in 60 for about 2 miles; 1 in 55, between Whitwell and St. Lawrence, Isle of Wight, for 42 chains, falling towards St. Lawrence station ; 1 in 40 Braunton and Mortehoe, 1 in 60 Alton and Medstead, 1 in 60 Medstead and Ropley, 1 in 60 Bagshot and Camberley ; 1 in 54, 1 in 56 and 1 in 59 between Sandling Junction and Sandgate; 1 in 70 for 2 miles 1,034 yds., between Martin Mill and Kearsney Loop Junction; 1 in 60 for 1 mile 264 yds., between Winchelsea and Hastings; 1 in 70 for 1 mile 315 yds., between South Canterbury and Harbledown Junction. The steepest gradient on a goods or mineral line is 1 in 53, for a distance of 18 chains, on the Brighton goods station line.
Permanent Way.—See RAILWAY YEAR BOOK, 1922. 95-lb. R.B.S. 60-ft. rails are now standard.

Brakes.—Vacuum on steam trains. Westinghouse on Isle of Wight Section. Westinghouse o-n all electric trains.
Locomotive, Carriage and Wagon Works.— Western Section : Eastleigh Locomotive Works brought into use early in 1911, the old works at Nine Elms being closed and dismantled. Carriage and Wagon Works at Eastleigh since 1891. Central Section: Locomotive Works adjoin Brighton Central station, the marine shops for steamboat repairs being situate at Newhaven. Extensive Carriage and Wagon Works are situated at Lancing. Eastern Section: Ashford (Kent).

Locomotive Running Sheds.—Western Division :—Nine Elms. Feltham, Southampton Docks, Eastleigh, Salisbury, Bournemouth, Exmouth Junction, Plymouth (Friary), Guildford, Basingstoke, Andover Junction, Fratton, Dorchester, Yeovil, Barnstaple, and Wadebridge. Eastern Division:—Brighton, New Cross Gate, Battersea Park, West Croydon, Tunbridge Wells West, Three Bridges, Newhaven, Eastbourne, St. Leonards (West Marina), Horsham, Bognor, Battersea, Bricklayers’ Arms, Tonbridge, Ashford (Kent), Redhill, Gillingham (Kent), Dover, Ramsgate, Maidstone East, Maidstone West Fa versham, Reading, Folkestone, Ryde and Newport (I. 0. W.).
Pullman Cars.—First-class Pullman oars are run in the Continental boat expresses between London and Dover, Folkestone and Newhaven. They are also run in the ocean liner expresses between London and Southampton. On the Dover service the “ Golden Arrow Limited ” runs. First-class Pullman cars are incorporated in many expresses on the Eastern Section. Both first and third-class Pullman cars are incorporated in many trains on the Central Section, including the “ Southern Belle” between London and Brighton, which from its inception in 1908 to 1915 was first-class only. A third-class Pullman Limited Express runs on Sundays between Victoria and Brighton. Other Sunday Pullman expresses are the “ Thanet Pullman,” the ‘‘Eastbourne Pullman,” and the “Bournemouth Belle.” The last-mentioned was run daily during the summer of 1931 as between Waterloo, Bournemouth and Weymouth. During the winter it runs on Sunday s only and terminates at Bournemouth West.
Summit Level.—Between Meldon Junction and Bridestowe, 950 ft. above sea level.
Colours of Engines and Rolling Stock.—Passenger and mixed traffic engines— green (sage) picked out with black and white lines. Goods engines—Black picked out with green lines. Coaching stock—Green (sage) picked out with black and yellow lines.

Clubs, Institutions, etc., supported by the Company.—Institute and Club, Vauxhall; Institute and Club, Eastleigh; Orphanage at Woking; Widows’and Orphans’ Benefit Society and other institutions at various centres throughout the system. There are Allotment Holders’ and Cottage Gardeners’ Associations, and shows and competitions are arranged. The Directors support these by prize money and by offering a valuable challenge shield. St. John Ambulance Centres exist at many stations on the system, and a very large number of the staff are qualified to render first-aid. Lectures are arranged at various periods of the year. A school of Signalling was opened at Croydon in 1914. Encouragement is given to Athletic Clubs covering a large number of branches of sport, there being social sections attached to most of such institutions. Staff Pension Funds and Savings Banks are also in existence.
Lantern Slides.—Scenic slides with lecture notes lent, free of charge. Apply—Advertising Department, General Manager’s Office, Waterloo Station, London, S.E. 1.
Sites for Factories, Poultry Farms, etc.—A register of property for disposal adjoining the Southern Railway suitable for commercial and agricultural purposes is kept. Particulars of such property obtainable on application to Traffic Manager, Waterloo.
Railway Museum.—Coaches (open and closed) of the Bodmin and Wadebridge Ry., built about 1836. These historical relics are kept at Waterloo and Kingston. The coach previously kept at Eastleigh, and the famous Stroudley Locomotive, “ Gladstone ” (restored to its original appearance), are now on view at York Museum.
Hotels.—London: ‘‘Grosvenor,” “Charing Cross,” “Cannon Street,” “Craven”; Southampton: “South Western”; Dover: “Lord Warden”; Newhaven : “ London and Paris”; Eastleigh: “Junction”; Hythe : “ Hythe Imperial ”; Deal: “ South Eastern.”
Canal.—The Thames and Medway Canal was converted into the Gravesend and Strood Ry. by Act of 1846, except for a length of 3 miles 8 chains from the Thames at Gravesend to Higham.

Docks, Harbours and Wharves.—London : Angerstein Wharf, Battersea Wharf, Blackfriars Wharf, Deptford Wharf, Nine Elms Wharf and Chelsea Dock (part). Provinces: Southampton Docks, Newhaven Harbour, Folkestone Harbour, Whitstable Harbour, Bideford Wharf, Dover Wharf, Fremington Wharf, Gravesend Pier Wharf (passengers and baggage only), Ham worthy Wharf, Kingston Wharf, Langston Wharf, Lymington Pier (passengers), Lymington Wharf (motor cars and goods), Littlehampton Wharf, Port Victoria Pier, Portsmouth Harbour Station Quay (passengers). Queenborough Pier, Strood Dock, Stonehouse Pool (Plymouth), Topsham, Wadebridge Quay. Isle of Wight: Fishbourne (Wootton Creek) (for motor cars and other vehicles which can be run on and off boats under their own power; also horses, cattle, etc.), Medina Wharf (Cowes), Ryde Pier (passengers) and St. Helen’s Quay.

Southampton Docks.—Total length of quays, 21,214 ft.; acreage of water, 60. Ten acres only (inner dock) are not tidal. The floating dock can accommodate a vessel of 60,000 tons. There are six dry docks, the largest being 912 ft. 3 ins. in length and 100 ft. wide. Cranes with lifting capacities varying from 1 to 50 tons are available, and also a floating crane which can lift 150 tons. First section of new docks—3,500 quayage—will be ready shortly. A further 3,500 ft. is now under construction, as is a new graving dock— length 1,200 ft., width 135 ft.—which will be the largest in the world.

Steamship Services.—Dover and Calais, Folkestone and Boulogne, Newhaven and Dieppe, Southampton and Le Havre, St. Malo, Caen and Channel Islands. Goods services to Cherbourg and Honfleur. Vessels otherwise owned in connection with railway trains ply between Dover and Ostend, and Gravesend and Rotterdam. The L. B.&S. C. Ry. were joint owners with the French State Railways of the steamers plying between Newhaven and Dieppe, and joint owners with the L. &, S. W. Ry. of the steamers plying between Portsmouth and the Isle of Wight. {For details see pages 172-177.)
STEAMSHIPS. (For other vessels see separate tables.) Name. Date Built. Builders. Engined by Type.Ardena1915 Trading betiveen McMillan & Son ..Southampton and Channel Is D. Rowan & Co. ..lands, Havi P, SI ..Hantonia ..1912Fairfield S. & E. Co.C. A. Parsons & Co.P, S2, GTLorina1918W. Denny & Bros.W. Denny & Bros.P, S2, GTNormannia ..1912Fairfield S. & E. Co.C. A. Parsons & Co.P, S2, GTPrincess Ena1906Gourlay Bros.Gourlay Bros.P, S2 ..Vera1898Clydebank S. & E. Co. ..G. & J. Thomson ..P, S2 ..Ada1905Gourlay Bros.Gourlay Bros.C, SI ..Bertha19u5Gourlay Bros.Gourlay Bros.C, SI ..Brittany1910Earle’s Shipbuilding Co. ..Earle’s Shipbuilding Co. ..C, SI ..Dinard1924W. Denny & Bros.W. Denny & Bros.P, S2, GTSt. Briac1924W. Denny & BrosW. Denny (fe Bros.P, S2, GTHaslemere ..1925D. & W. Henderson & Co...D. & W. Henderson & Co...C, S2Fratton1925D. & W. Henderson & Co...D. & W. Henderson & Co...C, S2 ..Ringwood ..1926D. & W. Henderson Co...D. & W. Henderson & Co...C, S2 ..Isle of Jersey1930W. Denny & Bros.W. Denny & Bros.P, S2, GTIsle of Guernsey1930W. Denny & Bros.W. Denny & Bros.P, S2, GTIsle of Sark1932W. Denny & Bros .. 1W. Denny & Bros.P, S2, GT

Trading between •Arundel ..1900W. Denny & Bros.W. Denny & Bros.P, S2 ..•Dieppe1905Fairfield S. (fe E. Co.Fairfield S. & E. Co.P, S3, T•Newhaven1911Forges et C. de la M6dit. ..Forges et C. de la M6dit. ..P, S3, T•Paris1913W. Denny & Bros.W. Denny & Bros.P, S2, GT?Rouen1912Forges et C. de la M6dit...Forges et C. de la M6dit...P, S3, T•Versailles1921Forges et C de la M6dit...Forges et C. de la Medit...P, S2, GT?Worthing ..1928W. Denny & Bros.W. Denny & Bros.P. S2, GT•Bordeaux ..1912Atel. et C. de la LoireAtel. et C. de la LoiieC, S2 ..•Brest1900Forges et C. de la M6dit. ..Forges et C. de la M6dit...C, S2 ..?Portsmouth1902Forges et C. de la M6dit...Forges et C. de la M^dit...C, S2 .?Rennes1925Worms et Cie.Caillard et Cie.C, S2 ..* Joint with French State Railways. C = Cargo. GT = Geared Turbine. P « Passenger.


Tonnage.Passenger Accommodation, Length.Breadth.Draft Loaded.I.H.P.Speed.Cargo CapacityGross. Net. Total. Berths. Ft.Ft. Ft.in.Knots. Tons{for Paris}, Honfleur, Cherbourg, andSt. Malo.1,092 433 510 119 263.25 33.15 1261,896 161801,560 662 705 209 300 36.1 129i4,750 19J1201,578 629 1,107 262 300 36.1 12914,748 19i1101,567 676 697 209 300 36.1 12914,750 19J1201,198 502 607 164 260 33 1412,700 164501,088 447 743 188 280.5 35.15 12104,500 19i120 489 198 — —• 182.5 28 12911,000 12520 487 195 — — 182.5 28 129i1,000 12520 631 256 14 — 200 29 11101 900 12i3602,291 917 1,279 360 325 41.15 1265,200 19i2172,292 918 1,278 360 325 41.15 1265,200 19J217 756 305 12 — 229.5 33.65 129J1,850 15500 757 305 12 — 229.5 33.65 129i1,850 15500 755 304 12 229.5 33.65 129i1,850 155002,143 864 1,401 306 306 42 1265,400 19J2242,143 862 1,401 306 306 42 1265,400 19J2342,211 876 1,406 306 306 42 1265,400 19i250 SI =» Single Screw. S2 - Twin Screw. S3 = Triple Screw. T => Turbine. 3T;-&A.-i&.3'B.TP3-Continwd.
Name.Date Built.Builders. Engined byType.Maid of Orleans ..1918W. Denny & Bros. Trading between Dover, W. Denny & Bros.Folkestone, P, 82, GTBiarritz ..1915W. Denny & Bros.W. Denny & Bros.P, 82, GTEngadine ..1911W. Denny & Bros.W. Denny & Bros.P, 83, TRiviera1911W. Denny & Bros.W. Denny & Bros.P, 83, TCanterbury1929W. Denny & Bros.W. Denny & Bros.P, 82, GTIsle of Thanet1925W. Denny & Bros.W. Denny & Bros.P, 82, GTMaid of Kent1925W. Denny & Bros.W. Denny & Bros.P, 82, GTAutocarrier ..1931D. & W. Henderson & Co. ..D. & W. Henderson & Co. ..P, 82 ..Walmer ..1894W. Denny & Bros.W. Denny & Bros.C, 82 ..Tonbridge..1924D. & W. Henderson & Co...D. & W. Henderson & Co...C, 82 ..Minster1924D. & W. Henderson & Co...D. & W. Henderson & Co...C, 82 ..Hythe1925D. & W. Henderson & Co...D. & W. Henderson & Co...C, 82 ..Whitstable1925D. & W. Henderson & Co...D. & W. Henderson & Co...C, 82 ..Maidstone..1926D. & W. Henderson & Co...D. & W. Henderson & Co...C, 82 ..Deal1928D. & W. Henderson & Co...D. & W. Henderson & Co...C. 82 ..? Joint with French State Railways. C — Cargo. GT == Geared Turbine. P == Passenger.

MISCELLANEOUS VESSELS. Name. Type.Tonnage Gross.Passenger Capacity.Date Built.Built byMarjorie ML .. 419121.—At South Dyer Bros. Moosedale CB .. 76 — 1900 T. White Toucan CB .. 81 — 1908 T. White • • Grangefell .. .. CB .. 81 — 1898 J. Bible .. No. 1 AB .. — — — — Carrier B — — — — Imp .. 8L .. 3 — 1900 — S.R.Float’g Crane No.l Electric 1596 — 1924 Cowans, 8heldon & Co. .. •• 8. R. 15 .. AB .. 38 — 1922 J. Dible .. • • Dorena .. ML .. 4 — 1925 Purchased 1931 .. • • 8outhern (in use
8t. Malo)..at ML .. 3—1931 8outhern Rly. Co.••t Figures in brackets show passenger capacity in winter. AB = Ash Barge. B = Barge. HV - Hopper Vessel. ML = Motor Launch. P ?= Passenger. PH = Paddle. SI «= Single Screw.

Tonnage.Passenger Accommodation.Length.Breadth.Draft Loaded.I.H.P.Speed. Cargo CapacitGross.Net. Total.Berths. Pt.Ft.Ft.in.Knots.Tons.Calais, ai 2,386 id Boulog'
937 Yl&,
1,400 20 35442.1 12010,000 2312.388 936 1,400 20 355.9 42.1 127110,000 22i —1,786 697 1,247 16 327.8 41.1 1428,100 23 —1,782 . 697 1,250 16 328.9 41.1 1428,100 23 —2.912 1,155 800 30 341.6 47 12109,300 22 —2,701 1.105 1,402 26 342.045.1 12109,600 22 —2,693 1,101 1,399 26 342.045.1 12109,600 22 — 822 329 120 — 229.50 35.6 1162,000 15 — 519 211 — — 20628.1 1141,400 15 430 682 — — 229.533.6 129i1,850 15 500 682 267 — — 229.533.6 129J1,850 15 500 685 269 — — 229.533.6 129J1,850 15 500 687 270 — — 229.533.6 12911,850 15 500 688 270 — — 229.533.6 121,850 15 500 688 270 — — 229.533.6 12911,850 15 500SI = Single Screw. S2 = Twin Screw. S3 = Triple Screw. T = Turbine.

Engined bySpeed. Length.Breadth.Draft Loaded.ampion.Knots.Ft. Ft.Ft.in.Parsons Motor Co. .. 7 30 8.0 26 — — 70 22.7 — — — 70.25 24.8 — — — 69.7 23.0 — — — 35.33 11.0 28 — — 134.25 28.0 60 — 61 26.3 6.1 18i — — 170.0 80.0 — — 50.314.55— —?8 28.6 9.0 25 —8 21.46.6 —B= Coal Barge. CH = Coal Hulk. CL « Coal Lichter OB « Omvoi T> 32= Twin Screw. SL - Steam Launch, ST = Steam TB « Tow BoX * MISCELLANEOUS VESSELS—Continued. Name. Freshwater tSolent S.R.2 S.R. 3 S.R. 4 S.R. 5 S.R. . tDuchess of Kent .. tDuchess of Norfolk Dragon S.R. Alice Fishbourne fShanklin Merstone Portsdown . Wootton Southsea Whippingham Hilsea Rich mere S.R. 9 S.R. 10 S.R. 11 S.R. 12 S.R. 13 S.R. 14 Trident Foremost 22 Ouse .. Nitrogen Ballaster Type.Tonnage Gross.Passenger Capacity.Date Built.Built byP, PD 264S. W. 520 (436) 2.
1927—Trading between Lymingion and J. Samuel White & Co. ..P, PD 161398 (325) 1902Mordey Carney, Ltd TB .. 18 — 1914T. S. White TB .. 20 — 1911J. Dible & Sons ..TB .. 21 — 1911J. Dible & Sons ..TB .. 18 — 1916T. L. White ML .. 2 — 1926Purchased from Watts & Co., Gosport. 3 —Trading between Portsmouth and Day, Summers & Co.
P 399819 (715) 1897 P 381769 (625) 1911 CH — — 1889 ML .. 7— 1928 MF .. 136 99 1927 P 412756 (611) 1924 P 342723 (606) 1928 P 342727 (611) 1928 MF .. 149 92 1928 P 825.37S (1,183. 1930 P 825.37 W 1 11,038 J J J MF .. 149 100 5 5 ST, SI 48 — 1915 CL .. 45 — 1901 CL .. 45 1902 CL c. 49 — 1910 CL .. 48 — 1907 CL .. 48 — 1907 CL .. 52 — 1913 HV, S2 100 — 1879 ST, SI 211 — 1924 ML .. 1 — 1926 Oil Carry 78 — 1912 ing Motor Barge
GB ..1 77 i1 -1 1925 D. & W. Henderson & Co. Vosper & Co., Ltd., Portsmouth Wm. Denny & Bros. J. I. Thornycroft & Co. .. Fairfield Ship. & Engin. Co. Ltd. ,5 Newhaven Harbour Go... Newhaven Harbour Co... J. Dible & Sons .. J. & W. B. Harvey J. & W. B. Harvey J. T. Crampton & Son Simons & Co. J. Meyers Shipbuilding Co. E. Cantel .. Hepple & Co. Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Co., Ltd. Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. Ltd. W. Denny & Bros. •S. W. W. Denny & Bros. 4.— Working at G. Brown & Co. ..
5.—Working at T. Van Duijvendijk 5, + rigiires in brackets show passenger capacity in winter. AB = Ash Barge. B = Barge, HV =Hopper Vessel. MP = Motor Ferry. ML = Motor Launch. P = Passenger. PD = Paddle. Sl^ Single Screw


















Engined bySpeed. Length. Breadth.Draft Loaded.Knots.1 Ft.Ft. Ft.inYarmouth (7. 0/ TF.), or at Lymington. J. Samuel White & Co 12i 158.75 23.1 58Mordey Carney, Ltd. 11 142.5 20.25 57— — 42.5 12.5 1Ilf— — 50.0 16 20— — 50.6 15.8 20— — 42.7 12.7 1Ilf— 25.5 7.0 18Ryae {I, of W.), or at Portsmouth. Day, Summers tfe Co. 141 202 26.1 610D. & W. Henderson & Co. .. 131 198 26.1 6n— —- 180 36.0166Parsons (Oil Engines) Co. .. 8 33.75 8.02 IJMeanL. Gardner 8i 131 25.0 46D. & W. Henderson & Co. .. 134 198 26.1 66J. Inglis & Co. 131 197.75 25.1 70J. Inglis & Co. 13i 197.75 25.1 70L. Gardner (Oil Engines) 8 135 26.1 411The Fairfield Ship & Engineering Co. Ltd. 16 254 30.172The Fairfield Ship & Engineering Co. Ltd. 16 254 30.172L. Gardner (Oil Engines) 8i 135.5 26.1 50Newhaven. Gouldie, Gillespie & Co. 7 63.3 14.7— — 65 20.5 57— — 65 20.5 5—? — 65 20.5 5— — 66 21 57— — 66 21 57— — 65 20.6 511Simons & Co 95 24.5 66W. Beardmore & Co. lOi 109 27Alisa Craig (Motor) — 16 5.6 18J. & C. Bolinder, Stockholm, Sweden 8 84 17 60Bembridge {I. of IF.). 1 44 1 78 , 21.5 1 60CB = Coal Barge. CH = Coal Hulk. CL = Coal Lighter. GB = Gravel Ttnrve S2 =? Twin Screw. SL = Steam Launch ST = Steam Tug. TB = Tow Boat

M

STATISTICS.—Year Ending* December 31st, 1931. Capital Issued (including nominal additions)— 5 per Cent. Guaranteed Preference Stock .. 5 per Cent. Redeemable Guaranteed Preference Stock (1957) 5 per Cent. Preference Stock .. 5 per Cent. Redeemable Preference Stock (1964) .. Preferred Ordinary Stock Deferred Ordinary Stock Loans and Debenture Stocks £157,040,003
Deduct—^Miscellaneous Charges Net Revenue
Net Revenue—Company’s Proportion
Electric Power and Light Account (95,168,667 units) .. £204,490
Dividend.—Preferred Ordinary Stock : first half 1| per cent. ; second half, 2| per cent. ; for the year 4 per cent. Deferred Ordinary Stock, Nil per cent, for the year. Carried forward £93,375.
Mileage (not including Somerset and Dorset Joint).—Owned, 2,161 miles 3 chains; share of joint lines, 1 mile 78 chains ; lines leased or worked, 24 miles 63 chains ; share of lines leased or worked jointly, 4 miles 75 chains ; total mileage, first track, 2,192 miles 59 chains ; second track, 1,590 miles 1 chain; third track, 170 miles 18 chains ; fourth track, 131 miles 20 chains ; over four tracks (reduced to single track), 76 miles 55 chains ; total length of single track (including sidings), 4,530 miles 14 chains. Authorised hut not opened for traffic, 23 miles 1 chain ; mileage run over by Company’s engines : owned, 2,161 miles 3 chains (includes owned but not worked, 12 miles 70 chains); partly owned, 4 miles 71 chains ; leased or worked 24 miles 63 chains ; leased or worked jointly, 8 miles 62 chains ; continuous running powers, 21 miles 55 chains ; total 2,208 miles 24 chains.
Rolling Stock (Rail).—Locomotives (steam): tender, 493 (4-4-0), 281 (0-6-0), 161 (4-6-0), 159 (2-6-0), 64 (0-4-2). 11 (4-4-2) ; total, 1,169. Tank. 345 (0-4-4), 146 (0-6-0), 146 (0-6-2), 75 (0-4-2), 64 (4-4-2); 29 (0-4-0), 8 (0-8-0), 7 (4-6-4), 7 (4-6-2), 5 (2-4-0), 5 (0-6-4), 4 (4-8-0), 4 (2-6-2), 1 (2-6-4), 1 (2-4-2) ; total, 847. Total locomotives, 2,016 ; 1,169 tenders ; 905 electric rail motor vehicles ; 822 electric trailer cars , 1 petrol car ; 3,511 carriages of uniform class ; 1,613 composite carriages ; 59 restaurant cars ; 2,454 other coaching vehicles ; total, 9,365 ; 25,404 open wagons ; 4,822 covered wagons ; 832 mineral wagons ; 375 special wagons ; 1,316 cattle wagons ; 1,074 rail and timbei I’ucks ; 880 goods brake vans ; total, 34,703 ; 1,936 service vehicles ; 7 departmental locomotives.
Road Traffic Equipment.—389 goods and parcel motor vehicles ; 1,426 horse carts and wagons; 33 miscellaneous vehicles ; 1,113 horses for road vehicles ; 36 horses for shunting.
Canals.—Kensington Canal Company, Company’s interest one-third, 11 chains ; Gravesend and Higham, owned by Company, 3 miles 8 chains.
Houses and Dwellings Owned.—1,775 dwellings ; 4,392 houses or cottages for Company’s servants ; 2,223 other houses and cottages. Traffic— Nos. of Passengers— 1st Class 2nd Class 3rd Class Workmen Totals Carried. 4,134,177 526,762 147,951,275 59,974,812 Of which originated on system. 4,046,512 526,762 141,241,232 58,480,888 Total 212,587,026 204,295,394 Nos. of Season Tickets—1st Class 3rd Class 21,786 164,569 21,447 159,212 Total 186,355 180,659 Goods Tonnage— Merchandise (excluding Classes
1-6) .. .. .. Minerals and Merchandise (Classes 1-6) Coal, Coke and Patent Fuel .. 5,227,898 3,796.715 8,314j813 Total 17,339,426 3,335,588 2,021,077 2,632,860 7,989,525 Head of Live Stock 826,731 694,966
Train Mileage.—Traffic : traction, 20,576,651; goods, 6,798,896; < 74,772,276. motor vehicles. 4,002 ; electric
coaching (steam), 33,021,451 ; rail motor vehicles, 4,002 ;

goods, 6,989,318; total, 60,591,422 ; shunting miles, coaching, 2,621,258;

other miles, including assisting and light, 4,760,700 ; total engine miles.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information