Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,369 pages of information and 233,846 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Ship repairers, boilermakers and engineers, Prince's Dock, Belfast
1894 Established to carry on the business of ship repairers. With the closure of David Scott and Sons Limited, Hamiltons were left as the only repair business in Belfast, apart from Harland and Wolff and took over part of Scott's yard.
1959 'The company has been going strong for 65 years. It was founded in 1894 as Hamilton and McMaster by Mr. A. W. Hamilton, father of the present owner, Mr. J. B. W. Hamilton, and a partner. In 1917 the late Mr. Hamilton, who had served his apprenticeship with McIlwaine and Lewis, an old Belfast firm of shipbuilders, and was later at sea with the Head Line, acquired the company outright and changed the title to A. W. Hamilton and Co.'
1962 The business was incorporated as A. W. Hamilton and Company Limited. In the 1980s the company moved to Newtonards, where it manufactured chemical processing machinery, boilers and tanks.