Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,146 pages of information and 223,038 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
ABJ of Pope Street, Birmingham
The company had built the Raynal autocycle before World War II and then built their own from 1949 to 1953.
1949 The firm located its works in Pope Street, Birmingham. The new name of ABJ came from the chairman A. B. Jackson.
1950 Two machines were offered, both of which had a 98cc Villiers engine. One was the single-speed Autocycle, the other was the two-speed motorcycle. Common cycle parts were shared - such as the rigid loop frame, the simple telescopic forks and the single saddle on a pillar tube. The motorcycle had a toolbox attached to the left side. Both the motorcycle and the autocycle had a rear stand. The models were the 1F, 2F and the 49cc Auto Minor.
1952 Both models were still listed and were joined by the Auto Motor cyclemotor, with a 50cc two-stroke engine mounted over the front wheel. The rest of it was a bicycle.
1953 That model alone ran on for the year. Production then stopped.