Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,786 pages of information and 211,899 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Associated Springs Ltd of Corporation Street, Stafford
1909 Produced A. S. L. motorcycles .
1909 They began to produce motorcycles that differed from most others in two ways: 1. Their machines had both front and rear suspension (most others had rigid frames) 2. Air springs were fitted, both front and rear, in preference to the usual steel. In all other respects the machine was conventional and fitted with either single or V-twin Peugeot engines.
1909 The machines differed from most others in two main ways. Firstly they had both front and rear suspension, and secondly they used air springs instead of steel. The rest of the machine was conventional and fitted with Peugeot single or V-twin engines and belt drive.
1910 The single was changed to a Fafnir engine.
1911 The company name changed to Air Springs Ltd
1913 An unusual design appeared. This had a two-speed gearbox mounted ahead of the engine, rather than behind, and there was also an option using a conventional three-speed gearbox.
1913 A chain-driven two-speed gearbox appeared, mounted ahead of the engine rather than behind, from where it drove the rear wheel by a long belt with pulleys much the same size. A conventional three-speed gearbox was a further option for the single.
1914 Single and V-twin Precision engines were used along with a 5hp Fafnir V-twin. All models had the three-speed Sturmey-Archer gearbox and air suspension front and rear. It was the final year of production.