Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,755 pages of information and 211,898 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Acme Motor Co of Earlsdon Works, Coventry built motorcycles from 1902 to 1922.
1902 Acme began production at Osbourne Road in Coventry. Probably founded by Frederick W. Allard. The first motorcycles had Minerva engines followed by the 2.75hp Auto-motor. They then built a 3hp Acme model themselves. A 4.5hp Auto-motor was also listed for trailer use.
1904 Acme were making the Auto-motor engine themselves.
1908 Two Acme machines were entered in the Island TT, but both retired. They did not enter the TT again.
1918 They used JAP units and their own side-valve 348cc singles and 997cc V-twins.
Around this time George Henry Hemingway was managing director
1919 Manufactured a car for a limited period
1920 A model was manufactured using a 976cc V-twin engine. The three-speed gearbox was chain driven.
1921 A 2.75hp single joined the twin. It had two speeds and a chain-and-belt drive. The two machines were very similar to those produced at the Rex Motor Manufacturing Co factory at nearby Earlsdon.
1922 They became the Coventry Acme Motor Co
1922 The two companies amalgamated to form Rex-Acme.