Albert Bridge, Datchet
1851 The enclosure of the Little Park at Windsor necessitated removal of Datchet Bridge. Two new bridges were constructed - The Victoria Bridge and The Albert Bridge. According to some sources, both were designed by the Prince Consort, Albert. In fact both were designed by Thomas Page[1]. They were constructed in cast iron in 1850-51.
Prince Albert certainly took a great interest in the construction of the bridges, the Albert Bridge, linking Old Windsor and Datchet, bearing a plaque inscribed "The Albert Bridge, so called by permission of The Most Gracious Majesty The Queen and the Royal Highness Prince Albert, 1851".
1914 The Albert Bridge was damaged - a hole appeared in the middle of the carriageway which needed to be guarded day and night by a watchman. It was not until August 1924 that Buckinghamshire and Berkshire County Councils signed a contract to rebuild the bridge to the specification of Col. Hawkins, Berkshire's County Surveyor. The cost was £43,812.00 to be paid jointly by the two neighbouring councils and the Ministry of Transport
1927 The replacement bridge was opened.
See Also
Sources of Information
- [1] Thames Web